Swivel types... which to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I changed out my factory hose on my B2 to a 40" DGX hose with a 90 degree fitting routed under my arm last year. So far so good. It is much more streamlined. If you are in heavy current with the factory hose you can feel it shaking. Only thing I would change at this point is to go with a a little longer than a 40" hose, still routing it under the arm.

Have seen a couple of swivels fail, one whilst diving in a mine. They literally fell apart.

I wouldn’t have one anywhere near my kit.

Elbows seem to be reliable.

Has anyone had an aftermarket omniswivel come apart in the last 5-7 years? It's my understanding that there are 2 versions. The 1st had issues. The 2nd (as far as I'm told and experienced) doesn't have those issues.

But sh!t....I can't remember what those issues were!!

I've had my 2nd revision aftermarket omniswivels for at least the last 2.5 years (60 ish dives).

I got one of these recently. Seems to be of good quality and well put together. Smooth operation. Hasn't been wet yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0FBEA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I have. I like them but I think I could really get away with seeing what position will "work" for me and just ordering the correct angled fittings. It's not like I really use the swivel except for in the beginning of a dive to adjust to where I want it. To be honest, I bought these years ago because they looked cool.

360 Degree Swivel for 2nd Stages

****If anyone is looking at a swivel, just know that they don't exactly "swivel" under pressure. You can move them, but it's not like the swivel will move by itself as you turn your head.

Question on ball-swivel versions and safety. Unexpected, spontaneous, partial disassembly has been raised as a critical, but occasional issue. The current versions seem to have some form of set screw that is intended to prevent the main swivel-shaft screw from being able to work lose.

Any thoughts on the absolute and relative safety of these locked-screw designs?

Omni Swivel now has the V2 swivel that utilizes a set-screw that comes in from the side (perpendicular) to lock the swivel-shaft screw and prevent it backing out.
OmniSwivel, Standard Regulator SW-S
SW-S-3_900x.jpg

Piranha has a (new version of their?) swivel that from the service kit schematic seems to utilize a coaxial set screw to lock it from the opposite end of the axle bore.
1129-1208.gif

New! 360 Degree Swivel Rebuild Kit , Piranha Dive Shop |
New-360-Degree-Swivel-Rebuild-Kit-15480-12636.JPG

As a side note, at $21 for the assembly, and $8 for the rebuild kit, it is probably worth it to to just replace the whole assembly when the time comes.

The Cave Adventures (IIRC @tbone1004 and others have recommended this one on at least a few occasions) also seems to have an end-set screw at this point.
Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
swivel_2_-_copy.jpg

swivel_copy.jpg

@-JD- if you use a dab of blue loctite on them like the service manual says to do *which most people don't and is why they separate*, then it's a nonissue. The set screw is certainly an improvement, but the guys down at Cave Adventurers use theirs all day every day and I don't think they've ever had a failure. They rebuild them when the regulators get rebuilt, and they do it properly with the dab of blue loctite. I have had one failure and it was from when I disassembled it and didn't have the loctite with me. 3 days later it split. That is the only failure I've ever had and I have over 2 dozen regulators with them on there and have been using them for almost a decade and that's the only failure I've ever experienced.

Question on ball-swivel versions and safety. Unexpected, spontaneous, partial disassembly has been raised as a critical, but occasional issue. The current versions seem to have some form of set screw that is intended to prevent the main swivel-shaft screw from being able to work lose.

Any thoughts on the absolute and relative safety of these locked-screw designs?

Omni Swivel now has the V2 swivel that utilizes a set-screw that comes in from the side (perpendicular) to lock the swivel-shaft screw and prevent it backing out.
OmniSwivel, Standard Regulator SW-S
View attachment 647068

Piranha has a (new version of their?) swivel that from the service kit schematic seems to utilize a coaxial set screw to lock it from the opposite end of the axle bore.
1129-1208.gif

New! 360 Degree Swivel Rebuild Kit , Piranha Dive Shop |
New-360-Degree-Swivel-Rebuild-Kit-15480-12636.JPG

As a side note, at $21 for the assembly, and $8 for the rebuild kit, it is probably worth it to to just replace the whole assembly when the time comes.

The Cave Adventures (IIRC @tbone1004 and others have recommended this one on at least a few occasions) also seems to have an end-set screw at this point.
Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
swivel_2_-_copy.jpg

swivel_copy.jpg

I'm not sure why Mr. Randy's (Piranha) has a picture of a screw like that, but mine are both hex like the Cave Adventurers. In the Piranha rebuild kit it even says "Hex" under #8.

I do not have any information as to what is different about the older version, I was just told the new version doesn't fall apart.... and I haven't died...yet.

@-JD- if you use a dab of blue loctite on them like the service manual says to do *which most people don't and is why they separate*, then it's a nonissue. The set screw is certainly an improvement, but the guys down at Cave Adventurers use theirs all day every day and I don't think they've ever had a failure. They rebuild them when the regulators get rebuilt, and they do it properly with the dab of blue loctite. I have had one failure and it was from when I disassembled it and didn't have the loctite with me. 3 days later it split. That is the only failure I've ever had and I have over 2 dozen regulators with them on there and have been using them for almost a decade and that's the only failure I've ever experienced.
Thanks for the reassuring comments!

I'm not sure why Mr. Randy's (Piranha) has a picture of a screw like that, but mine are both hex like the Cave Adventurers. In the Piranha rebuild kit it even says "Hex" under #8.

I do not have any information as to what is different about the older version, I was just told the new version doesn't fall apart.... and I haven't died...yet.
If I had to venture a guess, Randy just didn't get around to updating the picture ...

Back
Top Bottom