swivel turrets yes or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J C Cooper

Reaction score
I am purchasing a Xmas gift for a new Scub Diver. I am thinking of buying a Apeks CTX/ATX 50. The diver is unsure about swivels. Could someone give me some inputs. I understand it is a love hate situation.

I dive with a scubapro mk20/ s600. My first stage has a swivel, I started out with the best !...I would surely recommend a swivel first stage,,because it gives you more "play" room.

I've had a swivel o-ring fail on my Scubapro Mk20 just before entering the water, so it's not an abstract thing for me. It happens, even with annual maintenance.

I won't use a swivel reg as my sole primary anymore. I still use the Mk20, but always in conjunction with a redundant non-turreted (non-swivel, if you prefer) first on an H-valve or on manifolded doubles.

Eventually, the Mk20 will migrate to a stage bottle, and my backgas first stages will both be DS4s.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with swivels. People have problems with them because they were not serviced properly. I have 3 regs with turrets and zero problems.

JC Cooper: Is your diver referring to a swivel (turret) on the 1st stage, or to a swivel fitting on the 2nd stage hose?

Personally, I'd go out of my way to avoid a turret 1st stage, as it's another dynamic o-ring to service (or fail) and provides little benefit. I like a swivel on the 2nd stage and use the one from Abysmal Diving http://www.abysmal.com/Merchant2/me...R&Product_Code=Reg2-Swivel&Category_Code=REG6[/URL]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom