Swivel Ball Joints For 2nd Stage -- Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving with 2nd stage swivels for a few years, and while I like the convenience, I'm about to remove it from my gear. I live in Belize, close to a reef with lots of finger canyons and tight swim-throughs. It's important to understand that a swivel joint is a single point of failure - if the screw that holds it together fails, or the internal o-ring blows, your tank can empty very quickly. If you're in a swim-through you may not be able to reach the aux 2nd stage of the person in front or behind you. Something to consider...

I think there's 2 trains of thought as discussed throughout the thread.

1.) service them every 18-24 months and use loctite

2.) don't use them

Personally, I'm a little lazy, I had one come undone topside and I've since taken them off.... but I didn't service them for who knows how long. I've gotten along just fine without them.

if the screw that holds it together fails, or the internal o-ring blows, your tank can empty very quickly

Fold your hose in half, and carry a cable tie to hold it that way Stephen Collins

I've had mine fail twice, L/H short in SM, luckily noticed during pre dive checks. I'm going to try without it for a while.

I think there's 2 trains of thought as discussed throughout the thread.

1.) service them every 18-24 months and use loctite

2.) don't use them

Personally, I'm a little lazy, I had one come undone topside and I've since taken them off.... but I didn't service them for who knows how long. I've gotten along just fine without them.

You had a new type Omniswivel with the locking screw come apart? I am confused as to what the "one" was?

James

You had a new type Omniswivel with the locking screw come apart? I am confused as to what the "one" was?

James

Yes Sir I did, it was the newer version with a set screw (not omniswivel brand, but same design) . I went to turn my tank on topside and it blew apart. I still have it. I still have both sides with all the parts. In the swivels defense I had never messed with it. At the very least I should have taken it apart and added loctite just to be on the safe side. It worked fine for 3 years without me doing anything.

Tldr; I'll take the blame, still a cool device if you stay on top of it, but it's not needed.

Yes Sir I did, it was the newer version with a set screw (not omniswivel brand, but same design) . I went to turn my tank on topside and it blew apart. I still have it. I still have both sides with all the parts. In the swivels defense I had never messed with it. At the very least I should have taken it apart and added loctite just to be on the safe side. It worked fine for 3 years without me doing anything.

Tldr; I'll take the blame, still a cool device if you stay on top of it, but it's not needed.

Thanks for the info, though it was not an Omniswivel, I will have to study them further to see how the clones compare to the real deal. I have had the old type, non-Omni brand, come loose but I have never seen an Omniswivel come apart, especially the new version with the lock screw. But again, thanks for the heads up.

James

Thanks for the info, though it was not an Omniswivel, I will have to study them further to see how the clones compare to the real deal. I have had the old type, non-Omni brand, come loose but I have never seen an Omniswivel come apart, especially the new version with the lock screw. But again, thanks for the heads up.

James
How often do you rebuild?

How often do you rebuild?

I do not have any of the newer type, copy or Omni brand, though an Omni brand Poseidon unit is in the post to me and should arrive today. I have had several of the copies, old style. I would service them annually or upon condition and never had any real problem with them. I would not use such a device for overhead (or deco) diving but for open water, light deco, yes. For many years I have had them in service on some of my regulators. But, as I said, I have seen the non-Omni old type without the locking screw come apart in use, usually when first pressurized but I have never seen an Omniswivel of any sort come apart. I am not saying they do not, the older version in particular, just never seen it. I am just one data point, I appreciate the info.

James

I use/have used the older version, no problems so long as they are serviced every so often, test them in a bucket of water, look for any bubbles forming at the joint.

even the older ones have a type of set screw but it goes against the end of the main pivot screw, blue lock tight is important on this set screw. The newest type uses a small set screw against the shaft rather than in opposition to it, this pic from their site shows this.

Attachments

• 5BEF3D56-B3A4-4676-A2F7-281F08897780.png
    5BEF3D56-B3A4-4676-A2F7-281F08897780.png
    130.5 KB · Views: 56
I formerly used a ball swivel (brand unknown at the moment; I got it from Divers Supply) on my SM longhose, but I stopped when the ball started bubbling at 130'. I replaced and lubed the o-rings and made sure the set screw was tight, but the same thing happened again.

I've switched to fixed-angle swivels, and they're rock-solid.

Back
Top Bottom