Swivel Ball Joints For 2nd Stage -- Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've seen a few divers attach a swivel ball joint connection to their 2nd stage. Are these worth it and do they make any difference in comfort level while diving?

I don't find them any better than a fixed angle swivel.
They tend to leak with age and have many special internal O-rings. The fixed swivels are simply a standard hose o-ring.

Not necessary in my opinion but if you feel that it is the atomic swivel hose is one of the best and completely serviceable.

I use OMNI swivels, like them a lot, fixed can work but I prefer these, rebuildable.

I use the one sold by Piranha. It's great, super comfortable. Easy to service. Only silicon grease.

If the hose is the optimal length, I like fixed angle 110 swivels. But if the hose is too long, that can push my necklace reg off to the left. In that case the ball swivel lets it bow an optimal amount out to the right and not push the necklace reg off to the left. The right length hose would also be a good solution, :).

Several years ago, I had a Sherwood Maximus Reg. It had a (factory installed) swivel on the second stage and the hose was routed under my right arm. It was an incredibly comfortable reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom