Swivel attachment for my octo??? ever use them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katie K

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Port McNeill, Vancouver Island,BC, Canada
# of dives
200 - 499
I was in Hunduras a while back and a guy had these little swivel attachments coming off his first stage. They rely allowed him to streamline his equipment, ( having the hoses coming off in whatever direction).

Now I want some, but not sure if they are reliable and if they are subtitle for cold water diving...

Any advice is appreciated....

KT

I think you mean coming off the second stage. If so you are going to get a lot of opinions for and against. The primary concern is that they are a potential failure point, which they are. I however, do use them on my gear. I like the fact that they reduce jaw fatigue, and do let you better streamline your hoses. If you are looking to purchase a swivel though, beware of the cheap/discount versions. I have Hollis swivels on my sidemount/ cave gear and Scubapro on my OW and CW gear. As to cold water, I dive in warm water and cold water. A lot of the time on the same dive. I haven't had an issue. But Murphy was an optimist and there is always a chance that they could fail. In the end it is your call.

Reactions: D_B
I have never heard about this, but that's interesting, do you have a specific name for "little swivel attachments coming off his first stage" then I will surf the net and see it that is something I can use.

They make them for both, 1st stage and 2nd stage , 1st stage ones rotate in one plane only, and you can get one like that for your 2nd stage, or a ball type "omni" swivel
do some research before getting a ball type, the shiny smooth ones seen in most LDS shops do not have a good reputation , have been subject to recall

I have one on my 2nd stage (dull gray one by Amron Int (now a seperate division called OmniSwivel Int.)) and it allows me to route my longer hosed primary (42") under my arm (it might not be needed with an even longer, or more flexible hose)
I have thought about air sharing, with that swivel in place , the conveinent "handle" made by the hose going into the reg at a 90* angle is no longer there and is not as fool proof when using it to pass your reg off (I use my primary to share)

1st stage piviot ... Pivot Swivel

2nd stage swivel ... OmniSwivel Int. 2nd Stage OmniSwivel

Pearce & I have used swivels on our octo 2nd stages for years, starting with our days in TGWN, so cold never was a factor with them for us.

We like being able to orient the octo to any angle for the recipient...

Here you go! Swivel [SM swivel] - $25.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

This is not the expensive omniswivel. This is the swivel the owner of Cave Adventurers uses, and dang near every other cave diver I've talked to, uses.

None of them have ever had a problem. True, some of those guys had only 5000 dives or so, but that works for me.

I've got one that came with my Aeris Ion and I love it, really helps reduce jaw fatigue. Don't know if I'd spend the money on one for my octo though, if you're using it, you're not likely to need it for very long and jaw fatigue isn't going to be in the front of my mind at that moment.

I use to use them [the good ones] on both 1st and 2nd stages and even tried them w/miflex hoses out of curiousity[w/o any problems]... But the miflex hoses were so comfortable I just got rid of them......I still have a few and will send one to you n/c if you want...PM me.......But try the miflex hoses 1st if you haven't already.........You'll be surprised at how comfortable miflex with a moldable mouth piece is.........

1st Stage Low Pressure Pivot Swivel

I think Katie K is talking about 1st stage Low Pressure Pivot Swivel which could be the OmniSwivel brand.
OmniSwivel-LPpivot_swivel.jpg
I acquired one but with the built-in 1/4" Standoff (extension):OmniSwivel-LPpivot_swivel-standoff.jpg
I will install it soon with 40" LP hose down to 90 degree right angle adapter for 2nd stage regulator. And see if hose routing would improve and more streamlined. It's an "Underarm" primary LP hose configuration.

seal

Well thanks for the advice, I work at a dive shop so I can get them for cost.... I think I will give them a try... they even make them foe the high pressure poses.. and ill let you know what I think..

KT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom