Switching gas mixes at 100'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in fact addressing switching to EAN for the ascent only since others were tooting the "higher 02 content for ascent" horn, which makes sense for deco dives w/ appropriate gasses but not for recreational dives with recreational nitrox blends.

Yes there are advantages to diving EAN with a P02 below 1.4, but only if you're going to be hanging around that P02 and using it properly and the lower the P02 the lower the advantage.

IF I were to be doing the aforementioned then I would start with the pony and then switch to EAN as well and let the off gassing begin. But I wouldn't do the dive because it's, well, stupid.
Anyway, I think we probably agree with each other we just have a miss communication somewhere.

Finally; 10 minutes deco for 22 minutes at 100ft! Ouch.

It does sound like we may be on a similar wavelength if your previous post was only considering the value of EAN for the ascent. I have to agree it would be a bit of an odd dive to do and I guess I wouldn't do it myself, but probably wouldn't criticize someone else for doing it if they planned it properly and were aware of the issues.

As for the 10 min deco for 22 min at 100 yu should see how much VPlanner wants you to do for 15 min at 50m (165ft). It seems the value of the VPM model and deep stops doesn't kick in until you get into deeper and longer dives than I like to do.

Back
Top Bottom