Info Switch to Backplate and wing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If by chance you intend to take a GUE Fundamentals class, be aware they are picky about gear configuration and IIRC, including the harness. If it matters, check.

Are you going to use a STA (single tank adapter)? I don't, and when I configured my setup, I made sure to get a wing (Hollis) with soft stabilizer ridges. Not sure how important that is, but I didn't want to mess with a STA.

couldn't you just add a plate to the ranger? my friend dives one and his allows him to do that.

If by chance you intend to take a GUE Fundamentals class, be aware they are picky about gear configuration and IIRC, including the harness. If it matters, check.

Are you going to use a STA (single tank adapter)? I don't, and when I configured my setup, I made sure to get a wing (Hollis) with soft stabilizer ridges. Not sure how important that is, but I didn't want to mess with a STA.
Thanks, not going to use a STA the DGX single wing comes with the soft stabilizer ridges.

couldn't you just add a plate to the ranger? my friend dives one and his allows him to do that.

That’s a possibility but the ranger just feels bulky with the side pockets it would be nice to have less bulk around my mid section. I know Zeagle makes a double adapter for the ranger and no plate is needed.

Go
Why the Halcyon plate?
A doubles style plate like any of those is a plate is a plate is a plate.
Why not something like Dive Rite which is flatter anyway so probably better for single tanks, or DGX?
Here’s something to think about: with any of those plates, if you were to be blindfolded and put on any brand of stainless plate you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between them.
Save some money for diving or air fills.
Good point, one of the reasons for choosing the Halycon plate is I have seen nothing but positive feedback on it. Unfortunately I don’t have any dive shops with backplates close to see and try. I didn’t know some plates are flatter than others, what’s the advantage of a flatter plate other than what you mentioned of the tank is closer to your back?

After diving and traveling with a hard plate for a decade, I am done with mine for singles in most cases. Traveling with a hard plate is a PITA. I have gone to a polymer reinforced backplate, namely the Zeagle Express Tech. The only place I would dive my hard plate is in cold water where I needed some extra weight.
I mostly dive cold water so I think the SS plate will be good to start. I have considered getting a AL or other for more vacation travel.

The only disadvantage of the Halcyon backplate is that it's wildly overpriced when compared with others. The main advantage of the BP/Wing system is its clutter free simplicity. The only component that demands a lot of thought is the wing.

what’s the advantage of a flatter plate other than what you mentioned of the tank is closer to your back?
The real question is "what's the advantage of the taller channeled plates?". The channel on a plate is made to put the attachment point of doubles bands right on the channel (little or no gap between the center section of the bands and the plate). For singles, the channel is truly unnecessary. Putting the weight of the tanks closer to your center of gravity is beneficial.... standard backplates do that with doubles, but put a single tank further off your back. I use a VDH plate (completely flat) for that reason (among others unique to my gear).
As for what brand of plate to use.... It's a solid hunk of metal. Design may make a small difference, but brand name is meaningless in terms of service. Heck, my first BPW was completely home made... right down to the plate being hand cut from a plastic cutting board. And it still works just fine and gets used occasionally.

Respectfully,

James

I also use the VDH BP for all my diving with single and double hose regulators. It is extremely light and takes up almost no room in your pack for traveling. It is currently unavailable, but Subsea Sports offers a close approximation.

Back
Top Bottom