swimming fins for DM test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikal

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Can you recomend me some fins for my swimming test? My diving fins are not for this task. 800m/y is long a very long distance for big heavy open heel fins.

use regular snorkel fins...no booties...this will work great. I did a trial swim and found that the guys using regular fins did better times. I tried them and beat everyone and scored a 5...The snorkle fins allow you to dig in more and do not cause as much drag or fatigue...towards the last 400,,,you feel it...trick is to pace your self but get out in front if possible...not a true race but you do not want the group( depending how many) infront of you. Just dig in and go.

I'd recommend using the fins that you will actually dive with. This will give you a reasonable anticipation of your performance in those fins, which is critical knowledge should you ever find yourself in a postion where you need to conduct an in-water rescue.

This was a lesson I learnt, when I had to swim 300m from my dive boat to rescue a drowning Japanese snorkeller.

I used full foot snorkel fins. Seemed to make a difference. I think they are designed more for swimming on top of the water than scuba fins.

Open heel fins with boots are not efficient at the surface when performing the swim test. You want efficiency at th surface for this test. Speed does count. So does efficiency. Combined ...you will perform better this test using snorkel fins.

It is a test. Speed -efficiency - stamina....count.

I'm thinking about cressi clio. Simple and cheap. Free frog or pro star are long. i'm concern about cramps, and about efficiency.

i did mine in cressi clios, 14 years later and I've never needed to replace them, i like how sturdy the foot pockets are compared to some other brands where the rubber seems flimsy and prone to tearing.

You get 18 mins to do it. Most swimmers freestyle 500yd in 6-8min so you should be able to use "ANY" fin and make it in 10ish mins. Plus you get a mask and snorkel so you dont have to worry about breathing techniqs... Like Andy said I would use your everyday diving fins.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom