Swimming/ diving with sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When my Wife and I were on our first wreck dive off Hatteres she had told me that she would freak if she saw sharks. As we descended to the wreck we realized we were descending in to a school of about 30 sand tigers. I looked over at her and she had eyes as big as dinner plates and boy was she blowing bubbles :D Every time a shark swam by close she would grab me and put me between the shark and her. She said latter it was the first time she was glad I was fat as she figured I would keep the sharks busy as she escaped. (ain't Love grand) She went through 120 CF tank in 12 minutes.

I recently went diving in the Gulf hoping to see hammerheads and was lucky enough to do so. Before the dives I didn't know what reaction I would have. When I saw them I was amazed and enjoyed watching them. The hammerheads we encountered showed mostly curiosity by cruising in mid column and checking us out at a safe distance and then darting away. One even hovered near the surface watching us get back into the boat. At no time did any of them act aggressively to us or worry me in any way. Unfortunately I only got off one photo as a large one was swimming away. The picture wasn't very good but at least it did preserve my first sighting. I’ve attached it for you. I suggest you learn a little about how the species in your area interact with divers and the things that usually cause an attack. I think you’ll find most cases are swimmers or provocation.

herman:
gave me the "oh well, guess he is not going to eat me" sign.

Herman, Can you tell me how exactly you do this sign? :D
I'd love to know it. :)

Hmmm.... that would be the **shrug your shoulders while wiping your forehead with the back of your hand sign, while breathing out a looooong stream of bubbles** :)

Goose: Your pic shows how good their countershading is. It's the same exact color as the water!

I have had a few encounters with sharks in the Florida Keys and off of West Palm Beach, all instances the shark saw us and swam away. They are pretty cool to see.

Sand tigers, very cool! I've only had the privilege of diving with nurse sharks and Caribbean reef sharks. Someday, I'll make it over to North Carolina!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom