Swimming/ diving with sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Click on my name to the left and view my public profile - I sat on the bottom for 40 minutes watching those dudes.

Very cool, Daniel!

Prime feeding time. And I'm sure they chummed him up.

DanPHudson:
the shark was caught at dusk.

catherine96821:
I heard a statistic once and I can't remember exactly, but it was like every time you are in the ocean, you have a shark within 100 ft....or something like that....

I've dove in Bonaire and Cayman enough times to say that I doubt that statement. Now, if you are talking about the Pacific ocean, I'd be more likely to believe that thought.

I think sharks are better at concealing themselves than we give them credit for.

I think sharks are some of the neatest ocean life out there. I've only dove the ocean a handful of times, but EVERY ocean dive, I've seen sharks (nurse and caribbean reef sharks).

My first shark encounter-- My mom and I were buddied up and came around the bow of a wreck and at the same time a 7 footer was coming around in the other direction. It was sooo cool! It's head and our heads were MAYBE at most 2 feet apart. It dropped down just below us (I could have grabbed the dorsal fin) and passed us. We turned around to follow it, and it turned to the side, kinda looked at us for a second, then turned and swam away. Of course, it showed no aggression what-so-ever. That was, by far, the coolest shark encounter I've had.

Of course, the running joke with my family (all divers).... just dive with Jamie, she chums the water (sea sick) on the way out, and you're guaranteed to see the sharks!!

I've seen a lot of nurse shark diving, usually they are pretty friendly (hence my nickname!) We have run into reef shark down in the Keys, but haven't had the pleasure of seeing one diving off Ft Lauderdale. I'd rather see a shark than a school of barricuda! Had a run in oncethat almost made me attempt the Warhammer manuevers :)

Sharks are masters of evolution, they are (almost) biologically perfect. I say almost because we tend to ruin that. They are so cool you should be happy to see one. Except nurse sharks, they are kinda disappointing haha.

If you're really concerned about them: just pick a buddy who swims slower than you :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom