Swimming Abilities?

How strong of a swimmer should you be before you take the OW class?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can swim 300 yards using a side stroke; I’m just not very fast. If using a back stroke, thirst and hunger are more of an issue then distance. Did the mile swim thing in Boy Scouts years ago. I don’t consider myself to be a strong swimmer, but strong enough for the diving I do.

A friend of mine had an ex-navy seal as an instructor. What he described for the swimming requirements for this instructors class seemed to be completely unreasonable for a recreational diver. Sure military divers are involved in missions that involve dealing with extremely unfavorable conditions and the mission objective maybe worth risking lives, but I don’t think I need the same skill set.

The one “swimming” skill that applies to swimming, snorkeling and scuba that doesn’t seem to have been mentioned is recognizing when the conditions exceed your abilities. No human is stronger then the ocean and knowing when to stay out seems more important to me then some of the swimming requirements I’ve read here.

I have been swimming for over 30 years and I use to competitively swim so it made picking up scuba very easy.

I'm trying to get my girl friend scuba diving but she can't swim. It's hard for me to gauge how important it is to be able to swim for scuba diving. She can snorkel fine, but wouldn't be able to hold her breath and touch the bottom of a 5 foot pool.

Should she take some swim lessons before scuba diving? It's debatable too since most swimming schools teach you surface swimming techniques?

Opinions? Thanks ahead!

I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if i'm repeating:

I would like to answer your question with another question, " WHY has she never learned how to swm? "

I think the answer to THAT question is probably more important to her aptitude for scuba diving than knowing how far or how fast a bunch of random strangers on the internet think she should know how to swim.

R..

I refuse to certify anyone who is not a confident, relaxed swimmer. That is my choice and it fits my conscience. I will never believe that someone who cannot take care of themselves in the water without gear, is truly safe underwater with gear. I have a couple right now who have been coming to swim for 3 months now because I will not train them until the husband is a better swimmer. He can keep himself up and move(slower than Christmas), but he is not capable of being a good buddy or an independent diver. They understand that are are putting in the work. In the end, it will be well worth it.

Ahhh... I hope you mean "not breathe in" and not "breath hold." One should not hold breath while breathing compressed air at depth.
I don't hope or believe..........................
Sometimes............ I also hold my breath to allow cleaner wrasse into my open mouth for my buddy to take a photo(when I bother to take a buddy) and it also saves me having to floss after lunch.
Safe diving!

Peter Guy:
What is "swimming?" For me, I contend that "swimming" includes snorkeling

If you were with a bunch of friends and someone suggested you all go swimming would you expect folks to show up with mask, snorkel, and fins?

32 said Very Strong Swimmer... There would be not be very many divers if there were the case imo. But my strong swimmer is different from someone else's strong swimmer I guess. ZenDiver wrote, "I refuse to certify anyone who is not a confident, relaxed swimmer. " I think that is a great answer.

My mother was the most relaxed crawl swimmer I ever saw. Probably could've swam for days like that. Is that being a "strong" swimmer? Would she get a high mark on the timed DM swim test? The OW test is not timed. Would she be any good at rescuing someone at that snail's pace speed? Do swim evaluations have anything to do with scuba or any kind of water rescues?

Do sky divers have to be strong fliers? Try as I might and I flapped my arms awfully fast I am told, I fell out of the sky like a stone. Well, those people are crazy anyways so maybe back to diving. I am a strong swimmer but I think the OP meant a good swimmer and yes, I think a diver needs to be a good swimmer.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom