Swimming Abilities?

How strong of a swimmer should you be before you take the OW class?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hqduong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been swimming for over 30 years and I use to competitively swim so it made picking up scuba very easy.

I'm trying to get my girl friend scuba diving but she can't swim. It's hard for me to gauge how important it is to be able to swim for scuba diving. She can snorkel fine, but wouldn't be able to hold her breath and touch the bottom of a 5 foot pool.

Should she take some swim lessons before scuba diving? It's debatable too since most swimming schools teach you surface swimming techniques?

Opinions? Thanks ahead!

I think there are about 3 categories between very strong swimmer and comfortable holding your breath and touching the bottom of a 5-foot pool. I'd say one of those categories is the most apt, though, of course, it never hurts to be a strong swimmer.

I have been swimming for over 30 years and I use to competitively swim so it made picking up scuba very easy.
I agree that being a good swimmer makes picking up scuba much easier. But a good instructor can probably teach a non-swimmer--you don't actually need to know how to swim, after all. I do think it would be unusual for a person who is comfortable in the water to be unable to swim reasonably well.

This recent related thread might interest you:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/376574-swimming-skills-assessment.html

@ knowone; I liked the first one better haha!

Well, I think being able to swim adds to your being comfortable in the water, specially if you can swim underwater on breath hold. The water can be a scary place for those who can't swim. (for those who can too, but less likely)
I am not a strong swimmer, as in I'm not the fastest and my swimming techniques could be way better, but I can stay in the water, while comfortable, with no gear, for at least an hour. I think being comfortable in the water is the most important thing before you start scuba diving, and in my opinion, being able to swim is a huge plus.

With no swimming aids of any kind, you should be able to swim 300 yds, swim underwater 50 ft on one breath (with no push off), and stay afloat for 15 minutes.

I don't think there is a certification agency that will certify her to dive with a certified buddy if she cannot swim. Unless of course you go to a substandard instructor.
PADI requires an unaided 200m swim.

How can she snorkel, but not be able to swim? Do you mean that she is comfortable using fins, but has no swimming technique?

Being able to swim will make her more comfortable and confident in the water. With common sense and experience about how her body moves above and below the water, her movement will be more efficient and effective, her air consumption reduced and her likelihood of panic also reduced.

I suggest you help her get more confident as a swimmer first.

Nic

MrsBBC:
I don't think there is a certification agency that will certify her to dive with a certified buddy if she cannot swim.

There are at least two.

MrsBBC:
PADI requires an unaided 200m swim.

They allow you to substitute snorkeling for 300 yd for the 200 yd swim.

MrsBBC:
How can she snorkel, but not be able to swim?

She puts on the mask, snorkel and fins, puts her face down in the water, stretches out in a prone position, and starts kicking. It's quite easy for non-swimmers to snorkel, I was a fairly good snorkeler before I learned to swim.

I certified a 72 yr old non-swimmer. He completed the swim test since it is un-timed and any "stroke" will work. Clearly the more comfortable the person is in the water, the greater likelihood to be successful as a student diver.

I voted comfortable snorkelling. The poll may need re-wording. I am also comfortable touching the bottom in way deeper than 5 feet. Neither of these really has much if anything to do with swimming. I think you also need a category for "pretty good" swimmer. Having been on the swim team 40 years ago I had to train much to pass the DM test. Before that, I considered myself a "pretty good" swimmer. There is also the much debated topic of what swimming has to do with diving. I won't start bringing that up again. However, it is always a mystery to me when I hear of folks who can't swim at all taking up diving. Learning to swim first is an absolute must. I can't give data, but it just makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom