Swimming Abilities?

How strong of a swimmer should you be before you take the OW class?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to be very comfortable in the water, otherwise you invite panic when something goes wrong. You don't have to be Mark Spitz or even know the correct way to do the strokes but you do need to be able to swim. Endurance is more important than speed. Your mission is to survive, not set a world record. If holding your breath and touching the bottom at 5 feet is the limit of your comfort I think you are better off experiencing the underwater world on television than in scuba gear.

Not being able to swim and being around water is a recipe for disaster. Ask the parents of the kid I saw pulled from the deep end of a pool. He had no business being there. How many wear life jackets on the way out to the dive site? Yes you may have a suit on of some type. But what about in the Caribbean where one is not needed. Fall overboard I hope to hell you know how to swim. Why anyone would think it is not necessary to know how to swim boggles my mind if they are going to be around water. And I;d bet they never saw a drowning victim. Maybe since snorkeling is swimming we'll just require everyone to carry snorkel gear with them any time they or a family member is around water. Great plan.

I honestly don't think it really matters if someone can swim or not. I am not the best swimmer in the world and would have probably had issues doing 300 yards unless it was the survival backstroke. With my back problems and smoking I just don't see 300 yards of swimming (other than that back stroke). I would not have been able to swim under water holding my breath for any distance either.

I get under water on SCUBA and I do just fine. Other than I'm still working on my buoyancy. I swim fine underwater with fins and some air. I do think people should be able to float though. Maybe I am the exception or something, I don't know. I've never been comfortable in deep water, I didn't panic or anything. I just didnt like it. still dont. If I've got my gear on, the only thing keeping me from going deeper is water temp and being able to clear.

I figure if someone is interested in SCUBA and takes the time to learn it and learn how to NOT kill themselves, that's great.

I voted strong swimmer... Though I do not believe it to be a must. Options for this poll were poorly put together... I do believe however, that one must be a comfortable and confident swimmer to excel in scuba diving. If you cant swim atleast 100yrds or hold your breath and swim atleast half the length of a 25yd or meter pool underwater you have no business scuba diving IMO..

It depends how one defines strong swimmer. Strong swimmer as someone that can freestyle for extended periods of time or someone that can do survival swimming. I spend no less than 3 hours in a pool a week, but more like 5-6 hours. Not all swimming. Much of the time in the deep end, with water that is over my head. But I am comfortable. I do practice my strokes while there. However, my husband, has no desire to practice his at all or even any desire to learn the front crawl. However, when he was in the Marines, he was in a boat company. Each year they had water survival skills to pass in order to remain within the company and allowed on the boats. He can do all the survival stokes in under the required time for passing scuba or Fundies requirements. But he is comfortable in the water. Even more so than myself and I am in the pool a lot. As some of his skills were blind folded, turned and dumped from a pretend helo into a pool, unbuckle, and swim to the surface. Drown proof skills, as they were out on the Chesapeake a lot, the ocean and rivers of NC and over seas. Heck, I think they spent more time out of the boats than in in the black of the night. When we are in the pool together, I have him show me what they used to do and I do them also, just another tick to add to my bag. I would have to say. one should be very confortable in the water in order to scuba. However, I have to say, that before I took up scuba, you could not get me into water that I could not see. I hated all the stuff touching me, but since scuba, that fear of the unknown has gone away. I remember the first time UW at the quarry on my check out dives and actully seeing all the green goop growning, seeing where the fish are, just seeing the things that I did not see while on land, made it all better. I remember, living in Jacksonville, NC and walking along the beach and something swam out from under my foot, I never went back in the ocean after that. And since my husband was in the Marines, everyplace he got stationed had an ocean by it. And I grew up in a river of Ohio swimming all the time when I was a kid and I could not anything in that water. I guess it had to something to do with the 2 guys and drowned after wrecking their car and now come and grab onto swimmers, as the story went.

Swimming should be strong, however, confort level in the water needs to be even higher.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think it really matters if someone can swim or not. I am not the best swimmer in the world and would have probably had issues doing 300 yards unless it was the survival backstroke. With my back problems and smoking I just don't see 300 yards of swimming (other than that back stroke). I would not have been able to swim under water holding my breath for any distance either. ...

I've never been comfortable in deep water, I didn't panic or anything. I just didnt like it. still dont. If I've got my gear on, the only thing keeping me from going deeper is water temp and being able to clear.

I figure if someone is interested in SCUBA and takes the time to learn it and learn how to NOT kill themselves, that's great.

I respectfully suggest you never shore dive, dive when conditions aren't very good, have an equipment failure, have any medical issues, heavy current, or have any problems while diving AT ALL based on the very limited info you just gave us. The only real positive thing I got from your post was that you know how to swim a little and that worries me. Honestly, I am not trying to be an a$$, but seriously consider seeking more scuba training and more swimming experience before something happens and you find out if a few weeks of scuba lessons wins over a lifetime of not liking the water. Take care my friend and I hope to see you happy and healthy on a dive sometime! :)

i honestly don't think it really matters if someone can swim or not. I am not the best swimmer in the world and would have probably had issues doing 300 yards unless it was the survival backstroke. With my back problems and smoking i just don't see 300 yards of swimming (other than that back stroke). I would not have been able to swim under water holding my breath for any distance either.

I get under water on scuba and i do just fine. Other than i'm still working on my buoyancy. I swim fine underwater with fins and some air. I do think people should be able to float though. Maybe i am the exception or something, i don't know. I've never been comfortable in deep water, i didn't panic or anything. I just didnt like it. Still dont. If i've got my gear on, the only thing keeping me from going deeper is water temp and being able to clear.

I figure if someone is interested in scuba and takes the time to learn it and learn how to not kill themselves, that's great.

really???????

I honestly don't think it really matters if someone can swim or not. I am not the best swimmer in the world and would have probably had issues doing 300 yards unless it was the survival backstroke. With my back problems and smoking I just don't see 300 yards of swimming (other than that back stroke). I would not have been able to swim under water holding my breath for any distance either.

I get under water on SCUBA and I do just fine. Other than I'm still working on my buoyancy. I swim fine underwater with fins and some air. I do think people should be able to float though. Maybe I am the exception or something, I don't know. I've never been comfortable in deep water, I didn't panic or anything. I just didnt like it. still dont. If I've got my gear on, the only thing keeping me from going deeper is water temp and being able to clear.

I think it does matter whether one can swim or not when taking up scuba. But that can be debated forever (and has). It can also be endlessly debated as to how GOOD a swimmer you should be to do scuba. I understand what you are saying about being uncomfortable (I assume you meant swimming, floating, etc.) in deep water unless you are in scuba gear. I have always felt a bit of that, even snorkelling. Though I feel I am about as comfortable as one can get in water (since childhood), I still get a touch of the heebee jeebees when I even approach being over my head without scuba. Yet I've felt completely comfortable down to 130 feet on scuba. BUT....I know how to swim. Just makes sense to me.

had issues doing 300 yards unless it was the survival backstroke

Survival backstroke is a baller stroke. Survival backstroke, sidestroke and breaststroke have been entirely sufficient so far for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom