Swim fins for scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! try them for scuba.. I don't think you will be looking for other fins. They are extremely popular with serious scuba spearfishers.

Ewe. Scuba and spearfishers: That's two bad words when put together in SoCal :wink:

I'm considering getting some of your long fins if I ever find a place to go spearfishing again. Do you ship to Hawai'i? The problem there though is that most fish are too pretty to shoot.

Of course it’s not easy to frog kick in freediving fins. It all depends on what kind of diving you’re doing. It’s like boat design... compromises

I swam around with a speargun once... didn’t have the heart to shoot ‘em. But I’m a hypocrite ‘cause I’ll eat them if you shoot them!

There were definite improvements made along the way and I very happily traded my oval mask for a new Cressi Pinocchio and never looked back. SPGs were a nice addition too!

I have a modern silicone Aqua Lung 3 window job that is Aqua Lung's knock off of the ancient Scubapro Sea Vu Panavision or whatever thing. It's a little like driving a 43 Dodge in the Indy 500 and weighs more than my weight belt. It also makes you look like Gort from The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Don't dare take it off because it takes your tank pressure way down getting all the water out of it. What a piece.

I think it’s more something to display on a shelf... the new freediving mask for actually getting in the water!

I still have a old Tri-View made of amber silicon that has it's place on the shelf. Once-in-a-while I let the grandkids use it in the pool and then it goes back on display. It's heavy as hell but still doesn't leak and seems to fit everyone, except the guy that lost it in the surf.

WP_20170306_001.jpg

Last edited:
@george_austin do you use them for freediving or scuba or both?

My Mako fins? (Competition Freediver II)

They're equally good for either. Depends on the dive as well. A long tour taking pictures up close in cramped soft and hard coral reef structures may require a shorter fin in the 20 inch range to make sure I don't kick anything maneuvering around

...I made the mistake of buying SportsWays 707 fins (my dive shop was pushing them) and suffered for years .....

Same here! Used the 707's for about 3 years, dumped them for White Stag Hydro-streams. It was like night and day. I think 2x4's would have had more flex than the 707's!

I'm not sure that frog kicking is a difficult with a long freedive fin. I don't normally frog kick, but I know it can be done with long fins.

Helicopter turns and back-pedaling might be more of a challenge though.

Same here! Used the 707's for about 3 years, dumped them for White Stag Hydro-streams. It was like night and day. I think 2x4's would have had more flex than the 707's!

Inbetween the 707s and the Jet Fins I had some Nemrod Venturies. They sent the water from the "dead spot" all the way out through the tips of the fins. It seemed like a good design and worked pretty well, but not as well as Jet fins. It's the one on the right.

Back
Top Bottom