Swift and Aqualung Transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jens Bölte

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello,

Is it possible to combine two Aqualung transmitters with one Swift transmitter? Would all three signals be received by the Shearwater computer?

Best wishes Jens

Hello,

Is it possible to combine two Aqualung transmitters with one Swift transmitter? Do they work together?

Best wishes Jens

The transmitters don't need to work together, they need to work with the computer you are connecting them to. Both transmitters put out a signal that can be picked up by Shearwater computers. I have 2 SWIFTs and 1 PPS (exact same model as the AL transmitter but sold by Shearwater). I can connect all 3 to my Perdix AI and Perdix 2 without any issues. I regularly have one SWIFT (primary) and one PPS (pony) connected to both computers. I've had no issues.

The transmissions from the Swift and from the PPS transmitters are identical. The computer does not know or care which it is listening to

The transmissions from the Swift and from the PPS transmitters are identical. The computer does not know or care which it is listening to

They are?

Does that mean that you can use a Swift with a non-Shearwater computer (e.g. an Oceanic or Aqualung computer)? Has this been confirmed by someone who's actually done it?

I thought I had read that the transmission from a Swift was different somehow. Like, had additional information or something. Thus, I assumed a Swift would not work with a non-Shearwater computer. But, that could ALL be just me making assumptions.

They are?

Does that mean that you can use a Swift with a non-Shearwater computer (e.g. an Oceanic or Aqualung computer)? Has this been confirmed by someone who's actually done it?

I thought I had read that the transmission from a Swift was different somehow. Like, had additional information or something. Thus, I assumed a Swift would not work with a non-Shearwater computer. But, that could ALL be just me making assumptions.
They are the same transmission. The only difference is the SWIFT does not transmit if it hears another transmission...it waits until the coast is clear.
I have not personally confirmed this however because I do not have a SWIFT.
I think the key is that the SWIFT and the older PPS transmitters have the same FCC ID, MH8A.
The Shearwater website says:

1689018685085.png

They are the same transmission. The only difference is the SWIFT does not transmit if it hears another transmission...it waits until the coast is clear.
I think the key is that the SWIFT and the older PPS transmitters have the same FCC ID, MH8A.
The Shearwater website says:

View attachment 791933

Nice! Thanks for that info!

I need to buy a couple of new transmitters. I'm unlikely to have any non-Shearwater computers any time soon, so it's probably not a real concern. But, it is nice to know.

The bigger concern, really, is how the Swift requires a special tool to get the cover off, in order to change the battery. I am definitely looking to get some old-style transmitters, if I can find them, just for that reason.

The bigger concern, really, is how the Swift requires a special tool to get the cover off, in order to change the battery. I am definitely looking to get some old-style transmitters, if I can find them, just for that reason.
Not really a "special tool", just the tiny hex key wrench included with each swift. (1.5 mm IIRC). it just goes in the case wherever the Swift goes. Admittedly, not as handy as a coin, but last time I needed to open the Perdix, I didn't have a coin, and seemed that coins didn't have much value in the local currency wherever I was so they just didn't use them. So I now have a "special tool" coin that has to go with me along with the wee tiny hex head.

• Funny
Reactions: L13
Nice! Thanks for that info!

I need to buy a couple of new transmitters. I'm unlikely to have any non-Shearwater computers any time soon, so it's probably not a real concern. But, it is nice to know.

I agree completely. The cover disadvantage of the SWIFT overwhelms the minor advantage of the timing flexibility. Not to mention the cost difference! The classic MH8As are going for $200 or so used. I have four, none purchased new. Two were on my side mount regs; never a signal collision issue. One is on my rec reg, and I carry one spare.

Or, you can buy an Apeks PPS manufactured MH8A transmitter for $429, what? Are people stupid? Maybe this is part of the new Aqualung Group reorganization plan?

1689024619154.png

One correction. The Swift actually has a different FCC ID. An FCC report indicates it is 2AO24-17001, not MH8A. They are still compatible, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom