swell size for Blue Hole trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbaraff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In general, I don't ever use sea sickness meds when diving Hawaii, Catalina, (shore-diving) Monterey. The only time I've ever needed/wanted them was when boat diving outside Monterey Bay, where you get the long/slow 6 foot swells. Fast/choppy waves don't bother me (or my wife).

I'm wondering what conditions can be like on the long trip to/from the Blue Hole. Similar enough to out-side-Monterey-bay diving that it might warrant meds? (Yes, I know this is a very subjective question. I have scopalamine pills, but I really prefer not to be on them if I'm not going to need them.)

This is for a trip at the end of June.

Haven't gone to the Blue Hole, but did about 18 dives out of Placencia recently.....Southwater Caye, Laughing Bird Caye, Ranguana, Pompion, Gladden Spit and Silk Caye. It did get rough at times with 6-8 foot swells. I saw some people with patches on, so it must have been bothersome for them.....you could check the marine forecast in advance or talk to your dive operator to get an idea of what the seas will be like.

Depends on the day. It could be mirror smooth or 10 ft swells. Much of the trip can be made in the lee of the atolls by going further south before exiting the reef and crossing to Turneffe. After cutting through Turneffe, you are in the lee of Lighthouse reef. The motion is impossible to predict. It could be smooth or it could be rough. In addition the boats are various sizes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Depends on the day. It could be mirror smooth or 10 ft swells. Much of the trip can be made in the lee of the atolls by going further south before exiting the reef and crossing to Turneffe. After cutting through Turneffe, you are in the lee of Lighthouse reef. The motion is impossible to predict. It could be smooth or it could be rough. In addition the boats are various sizes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Good point. I thinking the Amigos del Mar boat, which appears to be one of the larger ones you can go on...

I've only headed out there on a liveaboard, 3 times - so on a 110' boat it ranged from pretty calm, to 'hang onto the bed so you don't fall out.' I'd figure it's one of those hope for the best and prepare for the worst situations.

Haven't gone to the Blue Hole, but did about 18 dives out of Placencia recently......

Any yet, no trip report. Tsk, tsk. :facepalm:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom