Question Swapping out an SPG, any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacDuyver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I cracked the face on my air gauge and am going to replace it with a new one. It looks pretty straight forward, unscrew the old one, don't touch/lose the little O-rings on the stem, put the new one on the hose.

Any pitfalls I ought to be aware of?

If the SPG comes pre-mounted on a HP hose there are no complications.

Please: REPLACE THE SPOOL!!! At the very least, replace the two 003 O-Rings. Over-grease them a bit with a good quality grease when you do. Spools are cheap, but O-rings are even cheaper. They fail all the time, so out with the old, and in with the new.

I service the spools periodically-clean the spool and replace relube the o rings (and also carry spares on trips). They're also cheap if you want to just replace instead of service. You just need to replace with the same type (there are two kinds). Keeps them happy.

003 Viton O-Rings from McMaster-Carr are $7.69 for a pack of 100

I would think a new spg would come with a new spool. I just replaced my spg and it came with a new one. Here are a couple videos which might be of interest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom