Question Swapping out an SPG, any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure the O-rings are duro 90 at least.
They’re exposed to full tank pressure and unless they are rated for that pressure they could extrude and blow out. A lot of people forget that.
If you ever talk to someone who says they’ve seen SPG’s blow out an O-ring, that’s probably why.

Make sure the O-rings are duro 90 at least.
They’re exposed to full tank pressure and unless they are rated for that pressure they could extrude and blow out. A lot of people forget that.
If you ever talk to someone who says they’ve seen SPG’s blow out an O-ring, that’s probably why.
so you are saying that the link the Chairman provided will not work?

I happen to have a mini bottle of slilicone oil that came for lubing my treadmill. Can I use the same oil on the o-rings or do I need the thicker silicone grease only?

The tiny O-rings blow out because they get neglected. Change them out once a year, lube generously, and you won't have that problem. MANY, if not most shops don't change them out during your yearly or bi-yearly service.

I happen to have a mini bottle of slilicone oil that came for lubing my treadmill. Can I use the same oil on the o-rings or do I need the ticker silicone grease only?
Use a grease. That will help keep the water off the o-ring. Christolube and Tribolube are my faves. You don't need an O2 grease, but your regulator will appreciate it.

When you mix rags and grease there is high likelyhood of crap transference, use ultrasonic and brush, no rags

If you have a build up of heat hardened rubber and grease crud inside spg-hose fitting sealing will be affected

use heat hardened rubber and grease remover

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom