Swampers DIVE CAMP Weekend anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been to Lake Travis and this sounds like it would be a great opportunity to dive a new lake and meet you all in person. I don't normally have weekends off, but wth advanced notice like this I could possible get that one. I'd like to get my son in the water, what temp could I expect at the end of April? Would a 3mm work or would it still be a little chilly for that?

I usually use my 3 mil for that time of year in Travis. If it is a little on the cool side in a 3 mil I keep my bottom time to 30 minutes or so based on when I get cold. Then warm up topside on the surface interval and do it all again.

Right now I am using my dry suit in Lake Travis based on the 50 degree water temps.

If you are going deep diving in April my 3 mil plan does not work because it is usually still cold deep.

Let us know if you can make it, we would like to meet you and your son and have some fun camping out together and diving.

I sure hope to make it on Sat, maybe Fri or Sunday also, depending on the motel schedl... Now for camping...... :rofl3:....... did far more then required in all my time in Scouting, not to mention after the accident a year ago the idea of laying on the hard rocky ground a few nights is 'funny'--haha! :D A bed,,shower and AC sounds great. :)

I sure hope to make it on Sat, maybe Fri or Sunday also, depending on the motel schedl... Now for camping...... :rofl3:....... did far more then required in all my time in Scouting, not to mention after the accident a year ago the idea of laying on the hard rocky ground a few nights is 'funny'--haha! :D A bed,,shower and AC sounds great. :)

Hi Alan,

Camping is not for everyone but as Robert posted their are hotels and motels close by.
I will take Friday off work and get out early for the people wanting to camp. I am going to choose to camp on my blow up air mattress and not the rocky ground myself. I will grab a good area available, some picnic benches, a fire bbq pit and set up the Texas Flag. Probably get set early, then either get a dive in or leave and run an errand or two and come back later in the evening. Don't know yet, but I will have all my stuff to lay out and grab space for the Texas Swampers.

Anyone else planning on coming out on Friday?

Looked at my dive log for the same day in 2009 on Lake Travis Scuba's boat. Temps ranged from 61 at the surface to 57 at 109 ft. I wore a 5MM with hooded vest and was fine for 2 dives, 88 minutes total. Remember diving the Oasis wall that day.

Hi Shawn,

I'm planning on being out there Sat/Sun. I haven't seen any of you old timer swampers in quite a while and it looks like there's a whole bunch of new folks. Travis is now +5 ft according to tonite's evening news. With some more rain on the way and a bit of luck, maybe they'll open up the dam. This might raise temps a bit. Looking forward to seeing and diving with you guys again.

Skip in Temple

Looks like will be coming in from Houston and camping. I am looking forward to diving from the boat and a full lake!

I was just writing with a fellow (gal) about the April Lake Travis outing---sounds fun. BUT-- I noticed on my date planner/the old fashion written type, that my father will be celebrating his 87 birthday on Sat. the 4/24th.. Welllllll look likes I will do my best to get down on Sunday the 25th. for some fellowship and diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom