Suunto Zoop NOVO vs Oceanic Geo 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a great comparison. Thank you for posting this. I can definitely see the difference as it comes back up in the dive profile on the latter dives.

I switched from my old Oceanic Veo 180 to a Suunto Zoop for the sake of the RGBM model, because I'm old and overweight and I figure a more conservative model would be safer for me.

I switched from my old Oceanic Veo 180 to a Suunto Zoop for the sake of the RGBM model, because I'm old and overweight and I figure a more conservative model would be safer for me.

Sounds like a good idea, enjoy your diving

Me too.I like my Zoop because I am old too and I want the added safety of the more conservative model and the information is large enough for my older eyes to see.

I have a suunto cobra and a suunto zoop and have never had either give me problems or be anymore "conservative" than the guys that dive oceanic with us even with a few dives in the 100' range. I do know that if I exceed certain things like greater than 30' per min accent rate then it flags and adds on to my surface interval. I very rarely get even close to my NDL so that could be part of why I do not see any difference in the conservatism. Both I am sure are excellent computers for a recreational diver so its more or less a Chevy or Ford question.

Exactly. If you're not staying down to your NDL, of course you're not going to see a difference between yours and a more liberal computer.

It's not a Chevy vs Ford question. It's a Ford Ranger versus Ford F350 question. If you don't want to or can't stay down longer anyway, then you may as well stick with the Ford Ranger. :)

A more liberal algorithm is not going to help everyone. If you usually run low on gas before you get to your NDL, then a longer NDL does nothing for you. Shallow(ish) dives have long NDLs and it would be easy to get low on gas first. Deep(er) dives use gas quickly, and with small tanks (e.g. AL80s) it's also easy to get low on gas first. But, if you have even a moderately decent SAC rate, use a 100 cu-ft tank (or bigger), and dive 90' or deeper, it's very easy to run out of NDL before you get low on gas. Even with the longer NDLs that come with Nitrox. Especially with a more conservative computer, but even with a liberal one. I am an XL-sized guy with a very average SAC and I don't have any trouble using up all my (Nitrox) NDL, with a very liberal computer, long before I get low on gas. But that is using tanks that are 100 or larger, and diving places like wrecks off North Carolina where the depths range from 70 to 120 or so.

If I felt like I wanted to be more conservative than what my computer allows, I would set the Conservatism Factor on the computer to something that would make it more conservative. If it didn't have a CF setting, I would plan to ascend when my NDL got down to some higher number. Say, ascend with 5 or 10 minutes left, instead of waiting until my NDL is down to 1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom