Suunto Vyper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattiedread

Reaction score
I have a Vyper, but I don't have the optional PC interface. I can not find this on any of the sites I have checked (including the one Mario posted on the Octopus thread). Any ideas on where I can get this? How much is it? Can I buy the hardware at any computer store and download the software?
Thanks,
Matt

Matt,
The interfaces are usually special order. Check with your local dive shop, they will most likely charge you around $150-175 bucks for it.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Is the Vyper the most complete computer offered by Suunto, or is that the Cobra?

What do you mean by "most complete"? The biggest difference in the two is that the Cobra is air-intergrated and the Vyper isn't. Aside from that, they are basically the same.

Very true. The fact that the Cobra is air integrated gives you more usable data during and after the dive, but it also ties you down in that the hose must be attached to your first stage otherwise you will flood it. Where the Vyper is a non-air integrated unit that can be worn on your wrist or whereever else you choose.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Mario, do you know of any plans for Suunto to offer a wrist mounted air-intergrated version of the Cobra/Vyper?

Warhammer, I've asked the question myself and was told that Suunto doesn't plan on introducing one anytime soon. Aqualung however may be dabbling in some research. They do have access to some impressive r&d funding... unfortunately the decision will most likely be left to the bean counting department for a go ahead.

On the download kit....I recently got the printed version of the LeisurePro.com catalog and I beleive that I saw the Vyper kit listed for approx. $140.00

That's a shame. I think they could sell boocuddles of them. I heard once that they had researched it a bit but just couldn't find a reliable means of transmitting the data and ran into some other roadblocks. I usually use my wife's Vyper as a backup to my Cobra when she isn't diving, and when I do I find myself using the Vyper almost exclusively and only refering to Cobra for gas info. So to have both in one, would be awesome.

Can I ask a dumb question? How does a wrist mounted air integrated computer work? I mean, how does the hookup work with the hose? Am I missing something?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom