Suunto Vyper

What brand of wrist computer do you like the best?

• Suunto

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Uwatec

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Genesis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OMS

• Oceanic

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
I am seeking my first comp, wrist model, for air and Nitrox. I am seeking soemthing that will do deco, if needed, audible alarms, but no have to spend $500! I am looking at the Vyper - can anyone tell me how they like/dislike theirs?

Thanks,

It's great in gauge mode but I wouldn't use it for planned deco. It gives too high of a ceiling for my comfort level (long shallow stops rather than shorter deeper stops).

Tom

I agree that the shallow deco is a bit of a problem but you do get credit for deeper stops so as long as you use it in conjuction with the computer between your ears it should be fine.

I have a stinger and it has been a great asset

Tom......that's true, but most "recreational" computers are going to do the same thing, at least in my short bit of experience. I've run the SIMDIVE mode on my Vytec on back in June on a simulated deep dive on air and noted that the first stop was in the 50ft range, with most of the time spent at 25 and 15 feet.

And I do agree with you that for the dives that you tell us you're doing, planning with a good deco planner that uses deeper stops, writing them on a slate, and then following them is definitely more conservative. But Scuba446 might not be ready to be diving at that level yet.

Scuba446...As far as recreational diving goes (not going beyond NDL's, keeping relatively shallow, etc), the Vyper is one of the best computers out there. I am currently on the Vytec (the bigger brother of the Vyper, but very similar) and I like it very much.

* Fits well on my wrist
* Large easy to read numbers
* Information laid out in such a manner that a glance gives you the detail you want
* Factory settings make its conservativeness to fit my current "zone"
* User settings allow you to increase the conservatism when you encounter conditions beyond that of an "easy" dive like heavy current. (this is one of my favorite features)[/]
* Easy to access and use menu system to for the various features.
* Sturdy and well built.

Online prices less than $300 for the Vyper.

-----------------
(Just re-read your posting, "I am seeking something that will do deco")

Now I see where Tom's comments came from.

Ummm...well, then no computer might be the one that fits your criteria of "do deco and less than $500". The few that are known for best handling planned deco diving are easily $1000 and more (VR3, Nitek3, and Vytec). Usually because if you are doing planned deco diving, you are also managing multiple mixtures of EAN. And if you want your computer to calculate your N2 and O2 intake correctly, they have to be capable of being told you switched to the different mix.

I guess for now, to meet your criteria, Tom's suggestion of the Vyper set to guage mode and strict use of tables is the best solution.

Scuba446...

Your comment in the "Suunto Stinger vs. Mosquito" thread of "I don't own a computer" yet is making me want to ask a reality check of you...

If you don't own a dive computer, this makes me think that you've only recently embarked on your diving career. If this is the case, why are you already seeking something that can handle planned deco diving when there is so much to be seen "in the shallow end"?

Please don't take this as bashing...just me being concerned for a ScubaBoard member to make sure you're not getting ahead of yourself or training.

I am only asking in the event one of us accidently over shoots our NDL times!

Scuba446 once bubbled...
I am only asking in the event one of us accidently over shoots our NDL times!

In that case I'd say the Vyper would be a good choice. I also like the various Uwatec computers.

Tom

Then the Vyper or the Uwatec's would be a good choice.

I use the Uwatec Smart Com and love it. A few times I accidently got into a decompression dive (* my stupidity *)and that computer handled it fine. tgidiving.com has great prices and if you find a price lower they will match it. Nice guy. Well talk to you later guys.

How good is the Suunto Favor? For just air dives?

Back
Top Bottom