Suunto Vyper

What brand of wrist computer do you like the best?

• Suunto

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Uwatec

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Genesis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OMS

• Oceanic

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't recommend an "air only" computer these days. With Nitrox becoming more and more available to the recreational diver, you are going to using it soon enough. And if you purchase an air only computer now, you'll wind up buying a replacement when you get your nitrox cert. And the end result could be you paid more for both than if you had just purchased the nitrox capable computer the first time.

I think your original idea of the Vyper (or Mozzy if you like the wrist watch style) has more merit.

Good point....I plan on getting Nitrox certified soon too. Mozzy, as in Mosquito?

I want a wrist unit with audible alarms, and spend no more than $300. How about Uwatech?

Can I get anything decent for under $300?

I don't care about it doing Trimix and all that..

I just want something for recreational diving, in case we ever screw up and blow our NDL's and need more of a deco than a 3 min Safety Stop....cheap insurance. We go and ever do that now with just a bottom timer on me, we're kinda sunk...I'd have NO idea of how long or how many stops I'd need to make to rectify the situation.

Suunto also has my vote. If you plan to get them on-line, then I suggest either:
DiveInn
or
Simply Scuba

Both are great on-line stores, with great prices.

G'Luck with what ever you decide, and keep us posted on your choice!

Ranz

Ok,
I wanted to get into a dive computer, but don't have like $500 for one right now. I was hoping to get something around $200 - but I don't know if thats realistic or not!

I'm trying to find a Suunto comparison chart to compare features. I just did a www.suunto.com demo of their Vyper - in Air, Nitrox and Gauge modes. I'm a little overwhelmed by the 78 page owners manual I downloaded online! Whew!

Whats the diif between the Vyper and Mosquito?

Are they very complicated to use?

How do i find out the elevation where I live in my area?

Scuba446 once bubbled...
Good point....I plan on getting Nitrox certified soon too. Mozzy, as in Mosquito?
Yes, that's right....guess my Aussie lingo is showing :tease:
I want a wrist unit with audible alarms, and spend no more than $300. How about Uwatech? Can I get anything decent for under $300?
Just checked Leisurepro.com (click here to view page) and they list the Vyper at $299.95. So technically that meets your criteria.
I just want something for recreational diving, in case we ever screw up and blow our NDL's and need more of a deco than a 3 min Safety Stop....cheap insurance. We go and ever do that now with just a bottom timer on me, we're kinda sunk...I'd have NO idea of how long or how many stops I'd need to make to rectify the situation.
If you blow your NDL, even accidently, there something else that needs looking at rather than the computer. True, the computer will assist you in getting out of the situation, but, (said in friendly manner) you should have never gotten into that situation in the first place. Getting into the situation that you have been referring to is describing a reduced amount of discipline to frequently look at and follow the suggesions of the computer on your wrist and between your ears.

Don't forget "Plan your dive and Dive your Plan", which means "X" time at "Y" depth, and being at the ascent line before you max out "X".

Also, it has been my observation over the past many dives that when diving a typical AL80, it is very difficult for most divers to exceed the NDL before they run out of air (this includes proper air management for the ascent, i.e. hitting the bottom of the line with 1000 psi). When I was recently in the Flower Gardens (avg depth 85fsw) I was on the bottom of the mooring line at 1000-1100 psi and I still had 4-5 minutes of NDL left. And my air consumption rate is pretty okay (not up to Walter's proficiency yet, but working on it).

I think I'm saying that I hear your concern, but am trying to get across that at this point in your dive career, it's sort of a little on. Still there, but not so great as blowing the ascent rate.

That help any?

Scuba446 once bubbled...
Whats the diif between the Vyper and Mosquito?

Are they very complicated to use?

How do i find out the elevation where I live in my area?
Size for one. The Mozzy does have the same modes as the Vyper, but I think the manual calls the guage mode "Free Diving". And it might update as quick as the Vyper does.

For specific quesitons on the Mosquito...check in with TwoBitTxn...he has had his Mozzy for about 2 months now and many dives on it. He can best answer your questions.

No different than trying to figure out Windows98 (I'm kidding). Very easy, straight foward and easy to set and dive.

Check with the city/county planning office. They should have the info.

Yes,
Your message is read loud and clear. I have heard that Rule repeatedly, but didn't realize it was SO serious as I am seeing it is or can be.

This is how all this came about....

When I took the YMCA BOW course last year, our instructor told us a story of when he was diving in FLA, he go distracted doing some video taping of some sea turtles. While so engrossed in his dive, he blew his NDL and had to get out his Dive Tables from his BC (thats another issue I have - will get to that) and had to figure out a deco. A diver came down from the charter to see where the hell he was, and he wrote on his slate what had happened. The diver from above had to go get him some additional air so he could do his deco and hang.....

So, thats why all this came up.

When we did our SSI check outs here in June 2002, the DIve Plan was to go no deeper than 40 ft. I got so distracted on bouyance control, and our first dive awe that I blew my depth by 4 ft. While not that big of a deal (Maybe it was) - I got teased by the instructor after when we did out surface interval and planend our repetitive dive. Maybe I missed something - on HOW serious it IS to blow your dive plan?

Enlighten me all! (I admit, I'm a Newbie)...

Also, I dive a BP and wings, semi-DIR style.....should I be carrying a Dive Table on me with my OMS Bottom Timer - and IF so, where AM I to put it - I have NO pockets on a BP and wing! ??????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom