Suunto Vyper vs. Uwatec Pro Ultra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BurBunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the final stages of deciding between these two computers. I'd like input from anyone who has used both of them. Intended use is for rec, no decompression, on warm water dive vacations (some liveaboard, though probably only 3ish dives a day even then).

This is what it's coming down to for me:

Vyper Pluses: User changeable batteries, good display, bar graphs, control buttons, conservative, temp display, violates into gauge mode.
Vyper Minuses: conservative, no variable ascent rates

Pro Ultra Pluses: Terrific displays, adaptive algorithm, variable ascent rates, slightly less conservative
Pro Ultra Minuses: less conservative, electrical contacts, no ascent rate indication (only % of max), no temp display, complete lockout on violation.

As you can see, I'm going back and forth on the conservatism issue. If you've dived both of them, do you find the Suunto too restrictive? How much do you feel you're penalized on the repetitive dive? Or do you feel more comfortable with the added conservatism?

Also would like input on the two different log programs. I've downloaded and played with both the Dive Manager and DataTrak, and it seems the Suunto is a bit easier to use with more easily understood info. How are the interfaces?

I have a feeling I'd probably be happy with either - just looking for something to swing the decision one way or another. Any info is much appreciated.

Amber

I've used both the Uwatec and Suunto, and tend to prefer the Vyper, which is my main comp for rec dives.

Reason I like it better, as u mentioned : More user friendly interface, push buttons, plus it has the 3 min safety stop countdown once u reach the 6 m depth. The Uwatec doesnt.

Plus the Vyper can be set to gauge mode when doing decompression diving.

As for conservatism, it isnt really an issue for me as when doing recreational dives, I take it easy. If I wanted to stay deeper longer, I set it to gauge mode and cut my own tables

I don't want any computer that will lock out. Life happens. When it does and I need information, I don't want to look and see a blank. A computer should continue to give you vital information after a violation.

filtered once bubbled...
I've used both the Uwatec and Suunto, and tend to prefer the Vyper, which is my main comp for rec dives.

Plus the Vyper can be set to gauge mode when doing decompression diving.

As for conservatism, it isnt really an issue for me as when doing recreational dives, I take it easy. If I wanted to stay deeper longer, I set it to gauge mode and cut my own tables

Does the Viper lock you out for 48 hours like the Vytec does after using gauge mode? I am looking at the Vytec, and according to the manual, after doing a dive using gauge mode, you cannot do an air or nitrox dive for 48 hours. Also, using the dive simulation program Suunto provides, it appears the Vytec at least, is too conservative to be used for any deco diving.

Phil

BurBunny once bubbled...
I'm in the final stages of deciding between these two computers. I'd like input from anyone who has used both of them. Intended use is for rec, no decompression, on warm water dive vacations (some liveaboard, though probably only 3ish dives a day even then).

This is what it's coming down to for me:

Vyper Pluses: User changeable batteries, good display, bar graphs, control buttons, conservative, temp display, violates into gauge mode.
Vyper Minuses: conservative, no variable ascent rates

Pro Ultra Pluses: Terrific displays, adaptive algorithm, variable ascent rates, slightly less conservative
Pro Ultra Minuses: less conservative, electrical contacts, no ascent rate indication (only % of max), no temp display, complete lockout on violation.

As you can see, I'm going back and forth on the conservatism issue. If you've dived both of them, do you find the Suunto too restrictive? How much do you feel you're penalized on the repetitive dive? Or do you feel more comfortable with the added conservatism?

Also would like input on the two different log programs. I've downloaded and played with both the Dive Manager and DataTrak, and it seems the Suunto is a bit easier to use with more easily understood info. How are the interfaces?

I have a feeling I'd probably be happy with either - just looking for something to swing the decision one way or another. Any info is much appreciated.

Amber

For that type of diving, either should be fine, but the Suunto would be more conservative. I have two Uwatecs and have been very happy with them, although battery replacement is somewhat of a hassle.

You might wqnt to download the Suunto Dive Manager software and use the dive simulator to profile some typical dives you expect to do. That should give you a better idea of what to expect from the Viper for multiple dives.

Software wise, I like the Windows Datatrak for the Uwatec, but there are other programs out there also. I use WLog for my downloadable Uwatec.

Phil

I was at a not so local LDS and looked at the Vyper and the Vytec, I do believe that Christmas is only in 10 more weeks.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

MechDiver once bubbled...

Does the Viper lock you out for 48 hours like the Vytec does after using gauge mode? I am looking at the Vytec, and according to the manual, after doing a dive using gauge mode, you cannot do an air or nitrox dive for 48 hours. Also, using the dive simulation program Suunto provides, it appears the Vytec at least, is too conservative to be used for any deco diving.

Phil

Yes. After diving, it's not possible to switch modes for the Vyper as well, for 48 hrs.

Not sure about the Vytec being too conservative, as I havent had the chance to try one yet, so currently I'm still relying on my Vyper, D3 and V-planner :)

According to the sims I've run with the Dive Planner software, the Vyper and Vytec (in the RGBM100 mode) are identical. They use the same algorithm. If you switch the Vytec to the RGBM50 mode, it's slightly less conservative on repetitive dives.

You can adjust the Vyper from air to nitrox mixes between dives, as long as you have it in nitrox mode and just program in 21% for your air dives. Otherwise, if you want to switch modes completely, you have to wait until all the residual nitrogen clears, which could be up to 48 hours.

The Vytec, of course, can be programmed for up to 3 mixes which can be switched on the fly.

Amber

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom