Suunto Vyper...any feedback on this computer? Thanks!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can get a good deal on the Vyper go for it, I found the VEO 250 at LP for $430 there was a note stating "available used from $275".

Back in June 2008 Scuba Diver magazine reviewed 14 computers, that review included the VEO 250 and three Suunto's (D4, Vyper 2, Cobra 2). In their words.....

VEO 250 uses a "modified Haldanean algorithm for liberal amount of bottom time" while the Suunto's were all "amongst the most conservative computers in this review".

They also included charts, showing 4 dives with NDL's plotted out by computer, the charts really showed the difference that grew from dive 1 to dive 4. I still think the Vyper is a great computer; you might want to take a look at the article to get a sense of the difference between the two computers.

Just a thought, hope this helps.....M

I've had a vyper for over 5 years. It has been on 500 or so dives, traveled, been used in classes, banged around. I think I've reolaced the battery twice. It works great and if I needed another one I would buy tanother vyper!

I loved my Suunto Vyper! It was absolutely reliable - I had no issues with it at all. I liked that I could make it more conservative through personal and altitude settings.

I finally sold the Vyper when I wanted wireless air integration. FYI: Suunto recently announced the Vyper Air and Cobra 3. They have better electronic compasses, are air integrated (the Vyper Air, wirelessly), and are thinner. (The Vyper Air has 2 gas switching whereas the Vytec DS has 3 gas switching and no compass).

I use the Vyper and it's a good computer. It uses the Suunto conservative algorithm, so it may not be the best choice for the professional divemaster who dives daily.

It has a nice simulation mode, and the PC link and software are very nice. On the negative side it does not show the nitrogen loading like the Oceanic does, but simply shows the amount of time left before decompression mode.

Also has a nice safety stop feature.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom