Suunto Vyper Air or Vytec DS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I suppose not all regulators would have spare port? If they do then it might be too close to other ports to screw in the transmitter (it is quite big!) and therefore your solution would work.

Not all 1st stages will have two HP ports (in the event that you want to keep an SPG for backup as well as the computer). In that event you would either keep the SPG intact and simply use your computer as a bottom timer etc and not have the air integration or remove the existing SPG and plug in your transmitter.

Hi JayDiaz,
Let me know how you get on with your new Vyper Air. Wen will you dive with it?

Hey Sure! IŽ´ll write about here, I should be getting it tomorrow (monday) and IŽ´ll go test it at nemo33 still this week.

Hi guys,

I think the Vyper Air looks like a great computer. I love the dot matrix display that suunto use and the new 4 button interface is also excellent. I'm thinking of upgrading my D4 to a Vyper Air for the gas switch!

However please please please do not be sucked in and pay extra for the transmitter. Here are the reasons why.

1) Air integration is great, when it works, not always but sometimes it drops out, then you need a redundant, normal SPG anyway. You should be diving with a redundant SPG in case of these situations, so why pay twice to know how much gas you have left?

2) Its a funky gadget! Lets face it we all love gadgets, but at the end of the day we are there to dive, not play with our computer. It takes 2 secs to grab your SPG and look at it, after you have logged a few dives you will not look at your air as often as you do your computer so you really don't need em combined.

3) You're paying a lot of extra cash to not have to grab your SPG, and if someone manhandles your setup while the transmitter is attached it can get broken really easy. You can get the same computer, without transmitter for ~300 Euro less. Thats almost half the price. For all the same features!

4) "All the same features?" I hear you ask. "But I want air time remaining." ATR is the biggest joke ever. It's a rough estimate, which you should be able to do yourself. I never found mine to be particularly accurate, and it was more annoying than useful. A simple SPG check, means that you will get to know how much air you have, and how much you need to complete your dive. A much better way to dive IMHO.

I bought my first computer WITHOUT air integration even tho it had the option. Then I paid more to get the transmitter. Then I warrantied the computer cos it busted 3 times. Downgraded to a D4 which is a great basic recreational computer. Dived everyday with it for 6 months (I was working on Koh Phi Phi). Never once missed the air integration. Please do not be sucked in. Spend that extra cash on a better set of regs, a dive trip, BC fins whatever! Just don't buy the transmitter.

On the other hand if you are LOADED! Have too much money and just want the gadget I understand. But for most people the transmitters just are not worth it.

Regards
Dave

Sorry to hear of your issues at times Tipto. I have dove with a wireless transmitter for almost 10 years now and have never had an issue. That is three computers - Oceanic DataTrans, Oceanic DataTrans Plus, and Suunto Vytec DS. I am probably going to purchase the Vyper Air soon and keep the Vytec DS as my back up, but I truly have had NO issue with my integration. No interference, no sudden disconnect. The only issue is the timing out after an hour of surface time. I got over that quickly by just checking it all BEFORE putting the gear back on.

It would not surprise me if I had one of those lucky breaks with equipment, but it would surprise me if I was the exception and not the rule.

I like the Vyper Air. I dive recreationally (for fun and as an Instructor), so am not overly concerned with 3-gas vz 2-gas. I use the SK7 compass as well, and even with the Vyper Air, I would probably maintain the SK7 usage... at least when teaching. For fun dives, I will probably cut back on the Christmas Tree look...

Tipto - very thought out email, but I just want to throw out my opinion...

Sorry, contrarian here. If I am going to spend the money, I want Air Intergration on a wrist devise, after all the reason for ME is to eliminate another hose. As for redundency, why not go the old school route and do TIME...DEPTH...TEMPERTURE AKA the Navy dive tables which all these gadgets are based upon anyway?? You know 60 ft for 60 minutes?

i got my computers yesterday, they look really cool and seem real easy to use.i haven't dove w/ them yet but i can't wait.

Well I found out some information from AL on discontinuing the Vytek was not because of the Vyper air but that they will be coming out with a new tek computer in the next couple of months. I was told that it is the Suunto Helios, 1 rep told me that it will be air intergraded while the other said it wouldn't be. I think that it just might be vapor gear but who knows?

I was told that it is the Suunto Helios, 1 rep told me that it will be air intergraded while the other said it wouldn't be. I think that it just might be vapor gear but who knows?

I think he meant HelO2, as in Helium + Oxygen :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom