Suunto Vyper Air or Vytec DS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the opportunity to upgrade my computer from the shop and I was wondering what others might think of the new Vyper Air. I see that the gas switching is 2 instead of 3 gasses. Can anyone see any other changes besides the compass which I did not like on the Cobra 2 but now they are saying it is able to be set by the user for how long it stays on. Hopefully I can get a few opinions here and since Suunto is my only choice please do not ring in with negatives about them. They have always brought me home!!
I had recently bought a vyper 2 only to find a few weeks later that it was discontinued so I manged to get a credit not and await report from Mark on the Vyper Air.
One important question for me is that if I also bought a transmitter would I be able to use it (the transmitter) at most dive centres as I do not have a regulater and always hire this. Can I fit the transmitter to hire regulaters?
I also understand that there is an adapter available if the 1st stage ports are busy....anyone heard of this please?
Anyone help here please

i just bought 2 Vyper Air's. Should be getting them in a few weeks. ill let u know what i find out about them...

I was on the same Boat, IŽ´m Sure both are great computers and at first I was leaning towards the Vytec DS, then besides the clearer differences(compass and etc...), I took a closer look on little details like these:
Vytec DS:
Logbook recording interval :10, 20 or 60 seconds
Memory capacity: approximately 36 hours of diving with 20
seconds recording interval.
Displays only in Nitrox mode:
Oxygen%: 21 - 99.
Oxygen partial pressure display: 1.2 - 1.6 bar depending on the
limit setting.
Oxygen Limit Fraction: 1 - 110% with 10% resolution (bar
graph).

Vyper Air:
Logbook recording interval: 1, 10, 20, 30 or 60 seconds
Memory capacity: approximately 80 hours of diving with 20 second recording interval
Displays only in NITROX mode:
Oxygen %: 21 - 99
Oxygen partial pressure display: 0.2 - 3.0 bar.
Oxygen Limit Fraction: 1 - 200% with 1% resolution

Another 2 differences are the Compass (only on Vyper Air) and on the Vytec DS you can have 3 different pre-sets of Nitrox mixes (where on the Vyper Air you can have 2). ThatŽ´s all I could find and in the end I picked the Vyper Air also because the price difference was around 60 Euros so I should have it in 4 days or so, then maybe I can give a better review.

Jay

Thanks for all that good information. I hope to buy a Vyper Air at the upcoming dive show in London.
One question please. I do not have a regulator and will hire at various dive centres. If I did have a transmitter could I use it on hire regulaters. Do dive centres do this...are they okay to attach the transmitter to the first stage. Are there normally a spare port for this?
Thanks
John

Not sure if they do mind or not, but its a quick and easy thing to do to unscrew the HP port using the appropriate sized hex key. They won't know (unless the thing floods or the oring screws up). I would personally put the transmitter on a short 3-6" HP hose in case the regulator 1st stage design prohibits the rather large transmitter being mounted directly to it.

I don´t know, I´m not buying the transmitter yet exactly because I don´t have a Regulator yet once the transmitter is pretty expensive I´d rather get myself at least a BCD and a REG first, but I just HAD to also take the protector shield and USB cable for the PC interface cuz I wanna use it to log my dives. :)

Thanks for this information. How does the wireless air transmitter fit onto a short length of hp hose? does the hose have the normal fitting to the 1st stage port? Sounds a good idea but I cannot visualise it.
Many thanks

Yes, exactly as you described. The female end of the HP hose is exactly the same as the female port in the 1st stage, so basically the transmitter hangs out a little from the 1st stage. You could zip-tie or otherwise secure it to the first stage so it doesn't move too.

Back
Top Bottom