Suunto Vyper Air or Vytec DS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gamehunter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have the opportunity to upgrade my computer from the shop and I was wondering what others might think of the new Vyper Air. I see that the gas switching is 2 instead of 3 gasses. Can anyone see any other changes besides the compass which I did not like on the Cobra 2 but now they are saying it is able to be set by the user for how long it stays on. Hopefully I can get a few opinions here and since Suunto is my only choice please do not ring in with negatives about them. They have always brought me home!!

Hello Gamehunter,

I'm roughly in the same boat. I've compared the specifications of these two computers, and below I've listed the differences I've found. Suunto just made the Vyper Air's manual available online today, and I haven't yet read it, but I did confirm that the Vyper Air can only connect to one transmitter at time. I was hoping that Suunto would have implemented connecting to 2 transmitters in the Vyper Air and to 3 transmitters in the Vytec DS, but unfortunately not.

Feature Comparison

Vyper Air: Available in Blue; New 3D Compass that Accommodates a 45 degree Tilt (better than the Vyper 2); Dot Matrix Display; 4 Button Interface and Update Menu System; Works with Suunto Dive Manager 2.7 and Newer; No Consumed Bottom Time Graph Display; Calculates Air Time Remaining; Switch Between 2 Gasses.

Vytec DS: No Compass; LCD Display; 3 Button Interface and Older Menu System; Works with Suunto Dive Manager 2.x; Consumed Bottom Time Graph Display; Doesn't Calculate Air Time Remaining; Switch Among 3 Gasses; Includes "Suuntosports.com Benefits."

All other features appear to be identical and they use the same transmitters.

Links to Manuals

Vyper Air Manual

Vytec DS Manual

I Vote for the Vyper Air

Since I only need to switch between 2 gasses (except, perhaps, in some weird emergency) either computer would work for me. I like the new 4 button interface and updated menu system of the Vyper Air as well as, potentially, an electronic compass that works. I love the fact that the Vyper Air calculates air time remaining and so am willing to do without the bottom time consumed graph of the Vytec DS.

I hope this information proves useful.

- Fishwatcher

Last edited:
I was always under the impression that the DS when used with a transmitter will calculate Air Time Remaining.

I was always under the impression that the DS when used with a transmitter will calculate Air Time Remaining.

Hello Katamuki,

Me too, and you could be right. I was reading from a Suunto comparision table (see Suunto.com) that lists the feature "Air Time Calculation." It shows the feature as being on the Vyper Air, but not the Vytec DS. I was surprised, to be sure, but that's what the spec. sheet shows.

Perhaps someone using the Vytec DS could let us know for certain.

Fishwatcher

It does have the remaining air time on it in the left box. I too am leaning to ward the Vyper Air but it looks like it has the green illumination on it and I really like the blue illumination on the back light, I just seem to see it better. I think I will wait until Our World Underwater to see if they have it there. I think the original Vyper has the blue but I don't know about the Air.

I use the DS, looking at the Vyper Air the only real difference is the 2 vs 3 gas. When using a transmitter both will give the remain gas time (which is BS). If you want a compass get and analog SK-7.

My guess is that the DS is going to be phased out. Which is too bad as I like it over the matrix display.

The DS is being phased out now and is on the closeouts on AL

I had the Vyper Air on the cover of our latest issue, and had the head Suunto rep in the UK bringing that and the Cobra3 into the office for me to have a shufty at. Got a Vyper Air on long-term test, but haven't taken it diving yet.

According to him, the Vyper Air replaces the Vyper2, which has been discontinued, but the Vytec DS is still in production and sits at the top of the 'puck' range. There is no plan to discontinue the production of the Vytec DS.

Mark

According to him, the Vyper Air replaces the Vyper2, which has been discontinued, but the Vytec DS is still in production and sits at the top of the 'puck' range. There is no plan to discontinue the production of the Vytec DS.

Mark[/QUOTE]

That maybe true for Suunto that they may not be replacing it but with Aqualung Americas it looks like it is being replaced with the Vyper Air.

Ah, that's right, in the States, Suunto and Apeks are just another brand distributed under the Aqualung umbrella, whereas over here in the UK, both Suunto and Apeks are well-known, stand-alone brands alongside Aqualung.

You are probably correct, then, that Aqualung America have made the decision to drop the Vytec DS from their range in favour of the new Vyper Air. Maybe they figured most people buying the Vytec were only using one gas mix anyway, and just wanted the transmitter, and the Vyper Air fulfils that role. Perhaps the DS wasn't selling too well.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom