Suunto Interface Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwolaw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Suunto Cobra and wife has a Cobra 3. After a lot of sync (driver) issues over the years, that eventually were resolved, neither of my computers will now sync, on either wife's MacbookPro, or my Windows 10 PC, or Windows 11 PC. Drivers all seem to be "working", at least according to Device Manager, and even the error logs seem to indicate a "failed answer/response" from the dive computers, although the cable is recognized.

Even though the Suunto USB Interface Cable worked just fine last year uploading dives to DiveLog 6.0, it hasn't worked on any of my PC's or MacbookPro this year, and I've tried other e-log software only to obtain same results. Do these cables just go bad? Is it possible for the software drivers to recognize the cable, but not allow data transfers? It's not damaged and has been kept in the OEM box since new. Contacts on cable and dive computers are clean.

I ordered a new cable from smartinterface.de (USB Interface for Suunto Dive Computer) and it's enroute. (OEM Suunto USB Interface Cables for Cobra(s) seem to be back ordered at the moment from US sources). I also noticed that this vendor sells a Serial Interface for Suunto Dive Computer. While I don't have a Serial Port (RS232) on my new Windows 11 PC, it's very easy to install one and they are not that expensive. Is there any benefit to the USB vs RS232 Serial cable? I'm thinking, it may take the problems I've encountered with the USB to Serial Converter Driver issues out of the equation. But could be wrong!

Any thoughts or input from those that have experience?

I have a Suunto Cobra and wife has a Cobra 3. After a lot of sync (driver) issues over the years, that eventually were resolved, neither of my computers will now sync, on either wife's MacbookPro, or my Windows 10 PC, or Windows 11 PC. Drivers all seem to be "working", at least according to Device Manager, and even the error logs seem to indicate a "failed answer/response" from the dive computers, although the cable is recognized.

Even though the Suunto USB Interface Cable worked just fine last year uploading dives to DiveLog 6.0, it hasn't worked on any of my PC's or MacbookPro this year, and I've tried other e-log software only to obtain same results. Do these cables just go bad? Is it possible for the software drivers to recognize the cable, but not allow data transfers? It's not damaged and has been kept in the OEM box since new. Contacts on cable and dive computers are clean.

I ordered a new cable from smartinterface.de (USB Interface for Suunto Dive Computer) and it's enroute. (OEM Suunto USB Interface Cables for Cobra(s) seem to be back ordered at the moment from US sources). I also noticed that this vendor sells a Serial Interface for Suunto Dive Computer. While I don't have a Serial Port (RS232) on my new Windows 11 PC, it's very easy to install one and they are not that expensive. Is there any benefit to the USB vs RS232 Serial cable? I'm thinking, it may take the problems I've encountered with the USB to Serial Converter Driver issues out of the equation. But could be wrong!

Any thoughts or input from those that have experience?

UPDATE: I no sooner posted this, and in the mail today comes the new USB Interface Cable! Plugged it into my wife's MacBookPro, plugged the interface cable into the wife's Cobra3, launched Dive Log 6.0, and voila! Her dives started downloading to Dive Pro 6.0! So it appears "something" caused my Suunto OEM interface cable to take a dump. Going to try and use the new cable on my Windows 11 PC and my Cobra dive computer tonight. I trust it wil be successful.

However, my last inquiry regarding a Serial Interface Cable for Suunto Cobra(s) still stands. I'm not cancelling the order, so I at least have "options" should I run into issues in the future. Still interested in options on this.

It is possible that your OEM cable has a counterfeit/fake USB to serial chip inside. Try to search for "fake", "FTDI" "CH340" "driver" and you'll see.

Nope. Not a fake. It is An OEM Suunto Interface cable. Note my updated post that found the Yellow Wire (that connects to one of the contacts on the circuit board), had separated from the circuit board. Resoldered it to the Board and it worked like a charm! Didn’t want to tear into the contact box before having another cable at the ready! I have two that work now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom