Suunto Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard that when you purchase from places online like "LP" that you do not get the manufacturers warrantee and that sometimes you may or may not get an owners manual. And at times it may not be in English. Mostly I have heard good things about LP. I personally like to support my LDS for larger purchases. I will use LP for smaller items from time to time.

sometimes you may or may not get an owners manual. And at times it may not be in English.
If you are still talking about Suunto products, the manuals are available online in 8 languages:

Suunto - Suunto D9

The same is true for ScupaPro, and, I would guess, for most other manufacturers.

I personally like to support my LDS for larger purchases.
Good for you. Most of my charitable giving goes to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

I was only attempting to get the word out there that I have heard that if you order from LP that you may not get an owners manual. And that if you do get one, you may not get it in English. I am sure that you can find a manual online somewhere and download it. I was in no way trying to say that the manual did not come in certain languages. And I was not talking about Suunto only. I did not specify what make or model or item being purchased.

As far as where my charitable donations go I did not bring that up. All I said is that I personally like to support my LDS for larger purchases. This is only a personal preference and I feel that supporting my LDS of which I am good friends with the owner is just my contribution to maintaining our diving community.

I am glad to see that you give to Make-A-Wish Foundation. That is a great organization. I too give to them and I also have assisted in granting some of the "wishes."

I just do not understand... oh... I will just leave it at that. :idk:

I mentioned in another thread that my Vyper depth sensor started playing up a month or two ago... an overnight soak in fresh water got it working like a charm again

Re: LP the Gekko I bought from them for a friend came in full retail packaging with a multi-language manual that included English. It also came with a LP warranty. YMMV

Something about Suunto transmitters I have found out recently. We had a lady who bought a Vyper Air. She kept getting a "fail" error message for the transmitter. The code would be reset & still she kept getting the "fail" message. The LDS owner even gave her his Vyper Air & took hers while on a trip. Hers worked fine for him,... his failed for her. The LDS owner called Suunto to find out what was going on. There is a rather vague statement that if the air in the cylinder is "slammed" on, the transmitter will fail. The air must be turned on slowly & carefully. It should be done that way anyways, in case of a 1st stage weakness. Something to consider.

I have a three year old cobra it has about 100-125 dives on it. Went and checked gear in a pool prepping for a Bonaire trip I found that all worked except the depth and dive time. It has been sent back to suunto by my local dive shop. My wides cobra has about the same dives on it and it performed ok. I use mosquito as a back up and it logged the dive and the cobra still read pressure, temp, and reconized I was on the water just no depth. I'm just worried from stories I'm seeing about $300+ to repair unit. I guess I'll wait and see what they say.

I have a three year old cobra... I found that all worked except the depth and dive time. ... My wifes cobra has about the same dives on it and it performed ok. ...I'm seeing about $300+ to repair unit. I guess I'll wait and see what they say.
I'm glad I checked this thread, I was considering replacing my Suunto Vyper with a Cobra 3. I have about 500 dives on the Vyper, changed battery twice but no other issues. So I have a real trust in the brand.

I see a lot of Cobras when I dive, so I know people like it. On the Cobra, I wonder if water can enter the pressure sensor and cause these issues. That's what they always said about a pressure guage, don't allow water in the hose, it will enter the guage and corrode it. I've not had that problem but it bears watching. I wonder if this is an urban legend or a real problem. Keep us posted on the repair.

I just had the depth sensor on my Cobra go bad after 5 years of diving. Suunto says they are aware of an issue with 'some' cobras having this problem, but don't know what the issue is. They said that if I had purchased it from an authorized dealer, they would have replaced my computer outright and given me another 5 year warranty. I'm waiting for my new Cobra 3 to show up, purchased from a LDS that damn near matched an online price...

Yup - my Cobra just died this past weekend. My Mosquito last year. Waiting to hear my options.

Leisure pro buys a lot of there gear from dive shop that are going out of buisness. This is how they sell items cheaper then your local dive shop. LP will give you a 1 year warrenty and in the event it does break after 1 yeah you probaly paid 200 dollars less then you would have paid if you bought it local. If you have to come out of pocket for a repair keep that it mind. I would go with LP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom