Suunto Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottC99

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have read a thread in here that talked about Suunto computers having defaulty pressure sensors, but most of the posts are from 2007. Does anyone know if Suunto has addressed this issue. Are the computers still susceptible to failing pressure sensors?

That being said LeisurePro has the Suunto Cobra for $499. Hundreds less than I have seen it anywhere else, but the catch is, NO Manufacturers Warranty. Is it worth the risk?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I haven't heard anything regarding the sensors, if they fixed them or not. Having said that, my very first computer was a Vyper I bought from LP, used it for a year with no problem, then upgraded to a Vytec purchased from a LDS. Like I said, neither computer gave me problems. But I prefer to buy from my LDS for major stuff and use LP for cheaper things like clips and such. I'd be interested to get an official response if someone from Suunto patrols SB :deal:

I bought a D6 in June 09, depth sensor died in November 09 after about 60 dives. Was quickly replaced under warranty (took less than a week). I know lots of other people with suunto's that have hundreds of dives with no problems, which was the main reason for buying one. So i'm chalking this one up as the statistical bad luck. Be sure to keep your receipt, have your authorized dealer stamp the back of the manual when you purchase and register it online as soon as you get home.

My girlfriend and I own 3 Suunto computers purchased in 2002: Gekko (250+ dives), Mosquito (250+ dives), and a Vyper (150+ dives). We don't have a warranty on any of the computers -- purchased the Gekko and Mosquito at an Aqualung Employee Parking Lot Sale, purchased the Vyper used. No issues with depth sensors or anything else as of yet. I always soak the computers in fresh water as part of my post-dive ritual.

There are loads of comments/treads around the Suunto product(s) good and bad. Many highlight fault with sensors and airless integration. I have not seen or heard of anynoe with any issue that purchased these products from an autohrised dealer. It is also very important to effectively clean these computyers after use, especially saltware dives.

I onw a D9 with transmitter - No problems

I have a Suunto Vyper from LeisurePro bought several years ago and never had a problem with it. Changed battery once. My only complaint is it uses serial interface and is slow to upload to PC.

Adam

There are loads of comments/treads around the Suunto product(s) good and bad. Many highlight fault with sensors and airless integration. I have not seen or heard of anynoe with any issue that purchased these products from an autohrised dealer. It is also very important to effectively clean these computyers after use, especially saltware dives.
@ajduplessis: The part of your post that's bold-faced above seems to imply that Suunto computers sold by unauthorized dealers have a higher failure rate with depth sensors and "airless" (sic) integration (probably meant to say "hoseless air-integration") than Suunto computers sold by authorized dealers. It implies that Suunto purposefully seeded the unauthorized market with malfunctioning computers. From a business perspective, this kind of practice would border on idiocy. This would result in customers, who purchased the product from unauthorized dealers, "advertising" to the rest of the consumer base that Suunto dive computers don't work -- in turn, this would hurt Suunto sales from authorized dealers.

Suunto's reputation is on the line regardless of whether the item is being sold by an authorized or unauthorized dealer. It behooves the company to put out a quality product for both "markets."

FWIW, I have not heard or seen higher failure rates in Suunto dive computers purchased from unauthorized dealers. I think Suunto had a bad batch of depth sensors installed into Vypers and Vytecs a number of years ago. Customers complained and the company addressed the issue. That kind of stuff happens over time with all dive gear manufacturers.

Some humour at last!! Thanks for pointing out my typo. Yes, Airless would be disastrous ..... hehehe

Bubbletrubble: Sorry to burst you bubble Mr Trubble, but you are the only person making assumptions an implying weird things. Please ship me some of the stuff you smoke, it must be good!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom