Suunto D9 titanium strap - is it a viable option for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it's just me and my old, fuddy-duddy stoginess, but a top of the line wrist strap should also have top of the line design. Translation? the owner shouldn't have to resort to taking of the strap every month and using a butter knife just to keep is thousand dollar dive computer safe on his wrist.

but maybe that's just me.

I've had my titanium strap for a little over 2 years / 500 or so dives. I switched to it after going through 3 or 4 rubber straps on a D6. You basically have two options. You can adjust the band to fit over your wetsuit, which would make it really loose if you wanted to wear it when not diving, or, like I do, just wear it low on your wrist when diving and curl up the cuff of your wetsuit a couple of inches.

One little maintenance note with the Ti strap -- the two pins that are the latch mechanism tend to loose their springiness after a while. You'll want to push them all the way in, separating the strap, and then spread them apart a little to re-tension them (I just use a butter knife) and put the strap back together. I do this about once a month now. I was lucky in that I discovered this problem on a dive as I was exiting the water and my watch fell into 10 cms of water right at the edge of the beach. I'm glad it didn't happen at depth!

Safe diving,
Jeff

Now that's what I'm talkin about!

Latest news on my Adapters is that they are done.
The D6's are anyway.
D,9's by the middle of next month.

Check them out, lots of Pics of the Adapters for the D6's, and straps available here: Home - Tibby Adapters

Let me know what you think of them, I like them myself, but there may be a bit of bias on my part...

Cheers,
Duke

I don't know about the D9 titanium straps, but on my old Stinger, I had the Suunto titanium strap.
Now admittedly I dive a LOT, (back then it was 3-4 dives every day)
However after about 14-15 months I climbed on board and stripped off my suit.
When I took my arm out of the sleeve of my suit, the stinger hit the deck with a thump.
When I took it in to the Suunto dealer here they told me that I would have to send the strap to Finland, it would "probably" be under warranty, but they. Couldnt say for sure. ( it was)
When it came back a month or so later,
The Tech told me that a note came with it saying that since the links were hollow the titanium had cut completely through the 316 Stainlss pins in the band, and they should inspect all the bands that came in even if it was for anything else.
Typically they then told me that since titanium is so hard (wrong) they would probably see a lot of this happening.
I personally think it was a "lapping" process that cut the pins, but either way the Suunt D9's are made from hollow links as well, so I think that if you would like something you don't have to worry about my adapters are still a smarter choice.
I recently went to the same suppliers "open house" and all the repair guy said to me was (here you can insert a German accent, and speak like your gods gift to the diving community)
"You know Duke, Suunto has changed the compound their bands are made of, so there should be a lot fewer problems with them now"...
(should be??? A lot fewer? How about a strap that has no issues?)
I didn't say anything, but I was thinking that even if they have changed the. compound, it's still not as secure as my adapters.
I don't know about you guys, but even if it's only used as a back-up, I think poising it would not make me happy.

"You know Duke, Suunto has changed the compound their bands are made of, so there should be a lot fewer problems with them now"...
(should be??? A lot fewer? How about a strap that has no issues?)
I didn't say anything, but I was thinking that even if they have changed the. compound, it's still not as secure as my adapters.
I don't know about you guys, but even if it's only used as a back-up, I think poising it would not make me happy.
Your adapters look very cool; I'm tempted to get them for style purposes alone. That said, my original Suunto D9 band (plastic) looks brand new after ~4 years and ~300 dives. Maybe you just have to let it dry out every now and then.:wink: Or maybe there's something to what your Teutonic friend is telling you.

You mean you have the 'cheapo-cheapo', plastic (GASP!) band and it's 4 years and 300 dives old and the watch still sits on your wrist using THAT cheapo-cheapo band?

AS Asenio Hall used to say on his old talk show...."Things that make you wannna go........Hmmmmmm."

Your adapters look very cool; I'm tempted to get them for style purposes alone. That said, my original Suunto D9 band (plastic) looks brand new after ~4 years and ~300 dives. Maybe you just have to let it dry out every now and then.:wink: Or maybe there's something to what your Teutonic friend is telling you.

Hey everyone, the D9's are done and ready to ship as well :)
Come and get them while we have stock!

I have a D9 titanium strap I'm getting rid of and going w/the Tibby-adapter. [I use different wetsuits and it just isn't practical for me, and I won't waste money on the plastic straps :( !!! ]...The Tibby-adapter w/strap is $90.00, so if you or anyone wants it that's the price + shipping cost....

Hey everyone, the D9's are done and ready to ship as well :)
Come and get them while we have stock!
Hello need a d9 watch strap solution can you still help at all ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom