Suunto D6 Back-light - Service Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nick3c

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I have been reading the forum a while (and finding it very useful), but this is my first post. I have an equipment problem and want to see if anyone else has similar experience.

I have owned a Suunto D6 for a year and a half. About six months ago the back-light stopped working. Not a big deal, but when I had a moment, I had my LDS send it for repair. I am based in Hong Kong and this was done at the local Sunnto repair centre. I am still in warranty and a fault in the back-light is covered by the warranty.

The device was returned to me with a new battery / pressure test. Something still isn't right, because the back-light now turns on but is far less bright than originally. LDS got another D6 and put it alongside mine and my back-light hardly glows at all compared to the other D6 (you can see it is total darkness but that is about it).

I sent the D6 back to Suunto, but they are refused to repair it. They accept that it is less bright, but they say that this is normal. This doesn't sound right to me; my D6 used to work fine, further it is hard to believe that brightness really varies that much between different D6s. It seems they are trying to avoid repairing under the warranty.

I don't want to be difficult with them and I might just call it quits and live with a dodgy back-light, but, having refused to repair my D6, Suunto are insisting that I pay for the battery change (despite the fact that it wasn't requested or necessary, and would have been done gratis if they actually had repaired my D6 as asked). Of course, they won't give back my D6 until I do pay.

Has anyone else seem anything like this before? Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom