Suunto D4(i)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Remko_

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

after unpacking my gear I found that my uwatec bottom timer didn´t survive the flight. Fortunately I was already aching to spend some money on dive gear :D

I am looking for a replacement that I can use both as bottom timer and computer. I like the D4(i) but no clear gauge mode, even according to Suunto it only exists in the D6 and up.

However I have seen some references to either setting the Dive mode to OFF or to FREE.

Does anybody here ever tried these options and use it as a bottom timer? If so, I am curious to see what info is available. Dive time and depth are the two main ones. If it also includes ascend rate and water temperature I am on my way to the local dive shop!

Other alternatives that are wrist-watch size and provide these options are welcome although I have a soft spot for D4.

Best wishes,
Remko

D4 has a freedive mode that shows you depth, dive time, time, temperature, and max depth. It will also record a profile for the dive, the profile can be viewed on the divecomputer itself and there is plenty of memory for dives. there are 2 depth alarms and a dive time alarm. I trust that the D4i has all these as well.

get one with a colored strap, as those are more durable than the black strap...

I have a D4i... just bought it 2 days ago. Im diving with it on sunday.

I read the manual.. and need to try it though.. but in Dive Air Mode.. you can start the timer.

Is the Black Strap really that inferior? to the colored? Shucks! i got a black strp!

I have a D4i... just bought it 2 days ago. Im diving with it on sunday.

I read the manual.. and need to try it though.. but in Dive Air Mode.. you can start the timer.

Is the Black Strap really that inferior? to the colored? Shucks! i got a black strp!

I still want the black strap, it is superior in color :wink:

Air Mode is regular dive mode. If you ever have the chance to test it in Free or Off mode please do :D

D4 has a freedive mode that shows you depth, dive time, time, temperature, and max depth. It will also record a profile for the dive, the profile can be viewed on the divecomputer itself and there is plenty of memory for dives. there are 2 depth alarms and a dive time alarm. I trust that the D4i has all these as well.

get one with a colored strap, as those are more durable than the black strap...

Great! I am still worried that the free dive mode will turn into error when you stay under too long for free diving or the sample rate is too high to log a complete dive without filling up the DC memory?

If what you are saying is correct it's good news for me and a shame that Suunto is weird about saying that the D6 has Gauge mode and the D4 doesn't.

Great! I am still worried that the free dive mode will turn into error when you stay under too long for free diving or the sample rate is too high to log a complete dive without filling up the DC memory?

If what you are saying is correct it's good news for me and a shame that Suunto is weird about saying that the D6 has Gauge mode and the D4 doesn't.

The FREE Mode has a time limit of 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the D4i will automatically change from FREE Dive to Scuba Bottom Timer.

You can download the manual for the D4i from the Suunto website. It should answer most of your other questions/concerns posted earlier.

I tried the Free mode yesterday in a pool lol.... manual says.. after 10minutes it reverts to air mode.

if you accidentally use free mode on a scuba dive.... after 10mins it will go to air mode... and when you ascend... you'll hve 48 hours of no fly! happened to a friend with his D4 (not i version)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom