Suunto Cobra Disappointment - looking for a new brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hang10

Registered
Reaction score
Hey All

So I have a Suunto Cobra dive computer that was made in 2005. I have logged only 41 dives on it (I don't dive often and have been on a dive hiatus for a while). Everything was stored indoors and cleaned before being put away. I went out for a dive last month and went down to 40 feet and discovered that my computer would not begin the dive and not register the depth. It did read my tank pressure though.

I did some digging and it seems that my depth sensor has failed and that many other Suunto cobra users have experienced this problem. Suunto even acknowledges this issue. This failure is also irreparable and the only solution is to buy a new one. It surprises me that such a large and well known company like Suunto would not offer a recall on such an issue and offer an unconditional replacement. It is not like this a cheap (both in supposed quality and price) computer. It is not even repairable. The only solution is to go out and buy another $600 computer! I find this to be unacceptable and completely unprofessional. It is nearly impossible to get in contact with anyone from Suunto asides from their customer service center which is just a call center with agents who are hard to understand. All they do is redirect you to a local service center which is usually Aqua Lung in Vista, CA (5 minutes from my house). People at Aqua Lung are cool people but they cannot do anything as they are just a service center and only service items under warranty. I traded NUMEROUS emails with Suunto (who knows who is answering those emails) and tried to call Suunto North America and had a hard time getting responses. The only response I would get was by email and it took 1-2 days for each response. Needless to say and from what I've read on forums, Suunto's customer service is terrible.

So now this brings me to buying a new dive computer with pressure gauge. I am definitely NOT buying Suunto. So what other brands/models are out there that are comparable to the Suunto Cobra? I don't need anything fancy. Just something reliable that will give me basics. I'd prefer it to be an attached console as I don't really want the wireless watch kinds. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Here's one data point for you:

I have an Aeries Atmos ai (integrated) and my wife dives an Aeries XR1 (not integrated). Although not a ton of dives on them (more than your suunto, I guess), we have never had a hiccup.
I've never read a bad review of the Aeries computers.

. . . People at Aqua Lung are cool people but they cannot do anything as they are just a service center and only service items under warranty. . . .

I find it hard to believe that the Suunto/AquaLung Service Center will not take your money in exchange for repairing out-of-warranty Suunto products. Really?

Also, you say "It is not even repairable." Did they tell you it is not repairable, or is that your assessment based on what you have read? Suunto/Aqualung would only know for sure whether it's repairable if they have examined the computer.

My wife's got a Cobra 3 and, knock on wood, it's still working fine after a couple hundred dives. But I have read complaints such as yours. Just curious.

Buy a Shearwater (if you like wrist mount non-AI) or an Atomic (if you like a console AI) and your customer service issues will be a thing of the past (you'll also have an excellent computer). The downsides to that approach are (1) cost and (2) nobody I'm aware of makes a great computer with great service in the wrist mount with AI niche...though you could always try Liquivision and hope they're in a good mood when you need service.

I find it hard to believe that the Suunto/AquaLung Service Center will not take your money in exchange for repairing out-of-warranty Suunto products. Really?

Also, you say "It is not even repairable." Did they tell you it is not repairable, or is that your assessment based on what you have read? Suunto/Aqualung would only know for sure whether it's repairable if they have examined the computer.

My wife's got a Cobra 3 and, knock on wood, it's still working fine after a couple hundred dives. But I have read complaints such as yours. Just curious.

I talked to both Aqua Lung and another service center (in Florida) and they both said it is not repairable. They said the depth sensor is calibrated when the computer is first built. I've also read it on several forums (on here actually) that it is not repairable. If it was less than 5 years old, they would replace it... but alas, it was built in 2005.

Here is an excerpt from an email from Suunto.
"However, if the depth reading is erratic and is constantly changing, and if the temperature reading is erratic or clearly incorrect, it means that the pressure sensor is not reading the depth accurately, thus it is faulty. As far as we noticed from your Serial Number (XXXXXX), the Suunto Cobra was made on the 7th Week of 2005. Being that the Dive Computer is older than 5 years, we are sorry to inform you that we do not have the possibility to repair or replace it."

I think this issue was with a batch of older Suunto Cobra computers so hopefully yours will be ok.

I'm am done with Suunto and their customer service. I don't want to ever deal with them ever again. My friend has a Vyper Wireless which did not work out of the box (sucked for him when he went to Fiji to dive and it didnt work) and I warned him of the perils of working with Suunto customer service. I know there are tons of Suunto Cobras out there that are working and will probably continue to work. However, for Suunto to know of such a fatal flaw (fatal to the computer) and not stand behind their product by replacing them is enough for me to never use them again. Mine only has 41, FOURTY ONE, dives logged on it. I will post a pic of the log book when i get home. Unbelievable!

still driving a car from 2005? Sorry, that age = disposable. Is your PC still running from 2005? Is your phone? Sorry.......

for the record, I owned a slightly more "robust" computer than that I parked it for eight years due to personal reasons where I couldn't dive. It didn't start up.(though my vendor did offer a substantial discount to get a newer model). Oh well.... (so, been there, done that, have the t-shirt)

still driving a car from 2005?

Heck yes! 2003 4runner and 2003 accord anf ill drive them easily for another 100,000 miles. I love my 4runner.

Heck I would drive a car from 1990 if it only had 25,000 miles on it. :)
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added October 1st, 2013 at 06:16 PM ----------

still driving a car from 2005? Sorry, that age = disposable. Is your PC still running from 2005? Is your phone? Sorry.......

for the record, I owned a slightly more "robust" computer than that I parked it for eight years due to personal reasons where I couldn't dive. It didn't start up.(though my vendor did offer a substantial discount to get a newer model). Oh well.... (so, been there, done that, have the t-shirt)

Shoot I know PCs that are running from 2005. Why wouldnt they? Im a network engineer and know large corps running their core networks with 10+ year old equip. As for phones, I am on a new samsung s4.... but that was my choice to upgrade. It is not be cause my previous phone broke. I bet if I pulled out (if I can find it) my old phones they would turn on as long as the battery was still good.
I dont see how a dive computer from 2005 = disposable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

then all you saved shouldn't be a problem :cool2: .... 2 posts, and only to complain about a 2005 "disposable" product... nope.... sorry, no sympathy....

then all you saved shouldn't be a problem :cool2: .... 2 posts, and only to complain about a 2005 "disposable" product... nope.... sorry, no sympathy....

nawh man. not looking for sympathy. not looking for a "awh its ok man, i feel ya". Just came on here to share my story, opinion, experience and seek guidance/advice on different dive computer manufacturers. Isnt that what forums are for? everyone has to start somewhere and join forums for different reasons. I've never seen a forum member join with 2000+ posts under their belt.

---------- Post added October 1st, 2013 at 06:50 PM ----------

Here's one data point for you:

I have an Aeries Atmos ai (integrated) and my wife dives an Aeries XR1 (not integrated). Although not a ton of dives on them (more than your suunto, I guess), we have never had a hiccup.
I've never read a bad review of the Aeries computers.

Buy a Shearwater (if you like wrist mount non-AI) or an Atomic (if you like a console AI) and your customer service issues will be a thing of the past (you'll also have an excellent computer). The downsides to that approach are (1) cost and (2) nobody I'm aware of makes a great computer with great service in the wrist mount with AI niche...though you could always try Liquivision and hope they're in a good mood when you need service.

thanks for the 411. I will check those out :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom