Suunto Cobra Disappointment - looking for a new brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1 -
3 - Your friend went to Fiji and his computer "didn't work out of the box". Guess he should have tried it first before leaving, not Suunto's fault.

It didn't fail out of the box like you said, most likely user error.

You're supposed to service the computer ever two years which you did mention, whether you use it or not and no use is worst then using it frequently.

And why didn't you just say CCNP and CCDP or why didn't you add CCNET as well.:wink:

Actually not user error. His vyper keeps unsyncing. He dives w a ai console as backup now.

Yeh I dove very infrequently but now ill be diving more frequently.

Good point about the certs. Lol. I did take ccna in two parts so I did have ccent. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Today so many products are designed to be disposable. Suunto made a design decision that makes it a disposable product. That is really unfortunate when their computers are so expensive. That decision was poor one when there seemed to be a component defect is some. A measure of company is not when things go right but when things go wrong. I have to say I have liked Suunto computers but I feel for folks who have been screwed when such issues arise.

Today so many products are designed to be disposable. Suunto made a design decision that makes it a disposable product. That is really unfortunate when their computers are so expensive. . . .

I don't think they are designed to be "disposable" so much as they are simply consumer products, not commercial-grade products. Like your personal computer, they are, on average, going to have relatively short lifespans (anecdotes from people proudly using 10 year-old computers notwithstanding). Dive computers are NOT "expensive." In fact, I'm amazed that a consumer-grade electronic device that is subjected to saltwater and rough handling lasts, on average, as many years as it does. If dive computers were designed as commercial-grade equipment, with even higher reliability and durability than they have now, they would cost much more and be repairable under a maintenance contract much like server computers or other commercial-grade computer equipment. And if you really want to consider them "life support" devices, then they could even be compared with medical equipment. A $600-$1000 computer IS inexpensive and, on average, they will fail within some inevitably all-too-low number of years. The law of averages says some dive computers will last seemingly forever, and others will be duds that fail early in their lifespans. As far as brands are concerned, there may be some brands that are exceptionally reliable and skew the average. Maybe Suunto is in fact less reliable than others or was at one time in the company's history--I don't think we have any way of really knowing, since all we hear are anecdotes from others, which are not statistics.

Well reliable or not, lasting 100s of dives not...its about a company standing behind their products...especially when they know of this computer crippling issue.

Try dunking it in some vinegar for a minute or two ...... sometimes the sensor has some corrosion.
I've brought several Suuntos back to life doing this.

I have heard of this method. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try :)

Well reliable or not, lasting 100s of dives not...its about a company standing behind their products...especially when they know of this computer crippling issue.

Agreed. But as I said in a previous post--and others disagreed with--it seems like a lot to expect any dive computer company to have SUCH good customer service that they would replace a five year-old computer that suffered from what appeared to be something in the gray area between manufacturing defect and mediocre design. Some companies do go to such lengths to protect their good name--even lifetime warranties against manufacturing defects--but I sure don't expect it as the norm with consumer electronics.

Well, I am now the happy owner of a NEW Subgear XP-10. I was looking for a "simple" watch style non-AI computer. I couldn't afford anything terribly expensive (baby on the way) so after much research and reading online, I decided on the Subgear XP-10. With it being a descendant of the Aladin Prime, and a great price, I pulled the trigger on one from Beaver Divers out in Colorado (www.beaverdivers.com).

Purchasing from them was a snap and Casey was great to work with. Speedy shipping and I now have a new computer! Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to dive with it yet. Work and life have been so busy but I can't wait to dive with it. I will post a review of the actual computer once I get to dive with it...hopefully SOON! Thanks Casey!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom