Surgical Bungee Necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Can ayone tell me the proper length of surgical tubing to use for the backup reg on a necklace - is it 3/16" ?

3/16" or 1/4" diameter surgical tubing should be fine. I changed from surgical tubing to 1/8" bungee cord, and now prefer the bungee.

Yea,
I bought both 3/16 and 1/8 from REEF, but thought that MAYBE 1/8 might be just a tad too thick.

??

Scuba446 once bubbled...
Yea,
I bought both 3/16 and 1/8 from REEF, but thought that MAYBE 1/8 might be just a tad too thick.

??
Um, 3/16" is thicker than 1/8"... are you talking about the bungee?

I mean, I have 1/8 on it now and think maybe it should be 3/16? I am using surgical tubing and not bungee.

Yes, 1/8" surgical tubing can be too fragile, plus with age it will weaken. 3/16" or 1/4" surgical tubing will last longer.

If you are changing the necklace - still consider trying bungee. You can make a loop with the bungee that slips over the mouthpiece, rather than using a ziptie to attach the surgical tubing.

Here's the two alternatives (both work fine):

bungee

http://www.northeastdir.com/images/pages/necklacefar.htm

surgical tubing

Thanks,
I decied to go with the 3/16 and I used the method shown in your "backupsecondstage.jpg" image.

Thanks,

Scuba446 once bubbled...
Thanks,
I decied to go with the 3/16 and I used the method shown in your "backupsecondstage.jpg" image.

Thanks,

You may want to reconsider the attachment method. The nice thing about the other method is that if someone decides they want that reg, it will pull out of the loop with just a bit of effort. With the zip tie, you could end up up close and personal with a now more panicy OOA diver. Yet the attachment is solid enough not to come loose by accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom