Surface Supplied Diving - Two direct hoses or Single drop with "Y"? What do you like better & why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PetePetePete

Registered
Reaction score
I am about ready to design and build my surface supplied diving setup (aka Hookah)... and I keep changing my mind...

The cost is about the same for me. So it's about "what's better"

I can do a 3/8" drop (100') with two 5/16" at a Y. (Not used at 100' feet, the 100' is more for travel area from boat-mounted air source... dept will not exceed 40')

-or-

I can do two 3/8" drops (100') straight from the compressor. I can tether the two lines together (silicone tape or similar, zip ties, etc.) -- until the last 20' or something.

-----

I understand that the two 3/8" will be harder to drag along, etc. but I'm not sure how much so?

Basically, the Brownie does the single line drop, and the AirLine does the double. What's better? LOL. ? Thanks!

I always used hookahs with a single hose, up to 100m long. No problem at all. Why the need of two hoses? It only makes easier to get entangled, without any added safety.
The most important safety measures when using an hookah are:
1) Carry a small pony tank with an alternate regulator
2) Have the hose connected with a quick-release attachment, so if it gets entangled you simply detach the hose and surface slowly breathing from the small pony tank.

Are you setting this up for 2 people to breath off a single compressor?

I would use two separate 3/8" hoses from the surface. Remember that there is hose-loss due to friction.

If I understand correctly, you are considering some length of 3/8" hose to a Y fitting, and then two length of 5/16"???

IMO, that would introduce safety risks in a lot of inconvenience. Safety because one diver could become entrapped and the other might have to ditch the rig in order to make it back to the boat or float for tools or help. It is also harder to manage than you would expect.

Learning to tend you hose is a vital part of surface supplied diver training. Both diver have to mind their hoses or you will end up tied on bowlines. I also recommend a quick-release snap shackle, sometimes called a spinnaker, or trigger shackle, to attach the hose to a light harness, which is independent of your weight belt.

I would use two separate 3/8" hoses from the surface. Remember that there is hose-loss due to friction.

If I understand correctly, you are considering some length of 3/8" hose to a Y fitting, and then two length of 5/16"???

IMO, that would introduce safety risks in a lot of inconvenience. Safety because one diver could become entrapped and the other might have to ditch the rig in order to make it back to the boat or float for tools or help. It is also harder to manage than you would expect.

Learning to tend you hose is a vital part of surface supplied diver training. Both diver have to mind their hoses or you will end up tied on bowlines. I also recommend a quick-release snap shackle, sometimes called a spinnaker, or trigger shackle, to attach the hose to a light harness, which is independent of your weight belt.

Yes, the Brownie method is a 3/8" drop line to a Y, to two 5/16" 20' lines, and then to 2nd octo.

The Brownie method seems to be the "preferred" method for recreational surface-supply... but I can understand the value of two independent lines.

I'm torn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom