Surface markers... innovation !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trappist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I found the idea very good :)

Decompression buoy PR2SYSTEM with air alert device | diving center canary islands

This item give flexibility to notifiy a problem at the surface so if you mention before your dive during a proper briefing that you have such item with you, the boat can be ready to assist in case they see this :)

What do you guys think about such an approach ? I really would like to hear reactions, thoughts and so on :)

I found the idea very good :)

Decompression buoy PR2SYSTEM with air alert device | diving center canary islands

This item give flexibility to notifiy a problem at the surface so if you mention before your dive during a proper briefing that you have such item with you, the boat can be ready to assist in case they see this :)

What do you guys think about such an approach ? I really would like to hear reactions, thoughts and so on :)

For DIR? No. Personally, I don't like gimmicks which this reeks of one. Watch the cheesy video about the product, understand what DIR is about, and then ask, "Is this DIR?" or "Would this be beneficial in DIR diving?" Maybe you asked in the wrong forum. We'll see though. :popcorn:

Trappist,
My original post has been edited but it went along the line of nonsense as regards the contents of the web site you quoted.

In many places the use of a DSMB is mandatory, in the UK for instance. The claims made on the website are laughable.

Last edited:
Why carry extra deco gas for contingences when you can easily signal your chase boat? :)

It's not a bad thought -- I know some divers do carry different colored bags, to alert the boat to a problem below, and this would obviate the necessity for two different bags.

However, from a DIR perspective, we calculate and carry enough gas to get a team member back to the surface from any point in the dive. And on complex decompression dives, we use safety divers. But it might not be a bad thought to have a simple way to signal the safety divers that something is wrong. I guess the real question would be how secure the system is that keeps the yellow part of the bag from unfurling, and how easy it is to get it open when you need to. The video makes it look as though that part is pretty simple, which makes me worry that the end isn't very secure. I'd hate to signal the boat that there is an issue, when there isn't.

It does look like a nice, big bag, though.

Carrying 2 lift bag/DSMB is standard for many technical divers. One in orange for drifting ascents and one in yellow to signal emergency. Having 2 bags also gives some redundancy, although this should be covered by the team. There are situations where you may have to ascend alone though.

I didn't find the concept offensive to DIR in principle. But how's this for something more useful: an SMB with a clear pocket at the top into which you could insert a wetnote. If the boat sees white, it can pull up to the SMB, take out the wetnote and see exactly what is going on. Doing this eliminates the guesswork of seeing an extra baffle with no extra information (AIR? Or some other problem?) and having to send down someone to ascertain the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom