Surface markers... innovation !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't find the concept offensive to DIR in principle. But how's this for something more useful: an SMB with a clear pocket at the top into which you could insert a wetnote. If the boat sees white, it can pull up to the SMB, take out the wetnote and see exactly what is going on. Doing this eliminates the guesswork of seeing an extra baffle with no extra information (AIR? Or some other problem?) and having to send down someone to ascertain the situation.

My Halcyon SMBs has a clear pocket on the top for that purpose.
Very good idea.

I'm amazed by the very different thoughts already :)

just to give you some background, I'm not a DIR diver (yet)... I just received by harness and reshuffling everything to be as close as possible without re-investing too much right now, keeping the right goal in mind for future purchases ! But I thought this project had some good thinking behind, maybe not fully DIR as some would say, but at least has the right approach towards better communication. Reading from a few users in other forums, it seems the top part is well secured and some over 100+ dives with it never had an issue with it opening wrongly, so there is some confidence level to start with...

I have to say, this forum has already teached me many things. I did rethink a lot of things on my personal gear and how I was organized with my setup. I can not afford everything right now and here, but when I will be back most of the stuff can be implemented right away :) Now Europe is definitely MUCH different, but DIR is probably the closest to what I would aspire to be as a diver...

So keep your comments coming, the idea is really to build on it :)

I hope you learn about DIR from a place other than the internet. This is the worse place for that.

Some thoughts:

OOA - One guy OOA'd and they shared air. Emergency over right? But they are short on gas? What happened to gas planning? rock bottom? Why wouldn't the divers have enough to get themselves to the surface? Sounds like the errors started before they left the docks.

(oh and BTW gas planning isn't a DIR exclusive thing... :wink: )

I don't intend to learn everything from the web ! Far from it, but at least this got me started, pushed me more into what I learned from my courses in CMAS and enlightened me towards what I would like to pursue... meaning I will definitely check what courses I will be able to take in the future :D
OOA is definitely something I was trained on, but I feel like the DIR approach goes further to waht I've learned as they think way ahead on how to best gear up for it ! We did practice OOA, got up a few times as needed (no deco ascent, only from 30m deep) on one reg, practicing it several time is definitely the best way, and using our safety stops when possible is a great way to keep fit and alert !
I'm just seeking into getting a better diver, every time !
I just finished reshuffling my gear for better setup (1st step only... new hoses will be needed soon !) so i can't wait to test this new setup and getting used to it. I find it much more natural :D

That video was frightening.

I thought it was a comedy film, not a horror flick.

I had to watch it a second time see if I actually saw him dump what looks many feet of slack line into the water. Upon review, I noticed that the line was weighted. I'd sure love to be a level down from these guys on deco and get hit in the head when one of them goes OOA.

A few seconds later a computer starts beeping for what I assumed to be a too fast warning, but paradoxically they appear to dropping in the water column (though the upline - which they promptly ignore after shooting the SMB - is diligently working its way underneath the hose routed around one guy's left shoulder, so maybe HE won't sink too far).

I am still perplexed at the increased breathing rate of the camera man as the leaking spare tank is lowered into the water.

Good stuff.

I noticed that the line was weighted. I'd sure love to be a level down from these guys on deco and get hit in the head when one of them goes OOA.

In Europe, all our SMB and how we learn of use them are weighed, typically with 200-500g... This is the way we are told to do and learn to do. I will not say this is the best, I alwasy found it weird that we let go down the weigh like this tooo, we are just suppose to check and make sure we have no bubbles comig from below :p

So this brings me to the next question... how do you use SMBs ? How do you keep it straight on the top as the weight is simply there to make sure it does not go flat on the surface, loose its air and sink again... Of course you could do it yourself by tensioning the cord, and we do that, but the weight is there to minimize risk of getting it flat (if waves/current kick you up for example).

I'm here to learn, tell me, show me :)
T

We just keep tension on the line. For the small SMBs I've used, it's not an issue. I've never done an ascent with a 6-footer, so I don't know how much tension you'd need to keep it upright. But if it's a lot, I wouldn't want to have to carry that big a weight around with the plan to drop it!

We just keep tension on the line. For the small SMBs I've used, it's not an issue. I've never done an ascent with a 6-footer, so I don't know how much tension you'd need to keep it upright. But if it's a lot, I wouldn't want to have to carry that big a weight around with the plan to drop it!

If you are using a 5, 6, 8ft SMB you really need it. The drag on the line and SMB itself can be substantial and you might actually need an extra 2lbs (if you were in a lightweight singles rig + wet suit etc) to be able to "get negative" enough to resist the current and winds pulling on the line/SMB. Obviously with this much yanking going on you can't just let go of the spool and let it hang. The worst case would be a large SMB with a (e.g.) north wind and southerly current, you will get seperated if you let go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom