Surface Marker Buoy and Air Share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, practicing in stages is definitely the way to go! You're should be trying to build *up to* an air sharing ascent with deployed smb, not starting there. :)

Good luck!

A simple yes-or-no question that many seem to have overlooked in their (alleged by me) attempt to justify not practicing their skills regularly. We went for a dive last night that was nothing but skills practice. We used to do it more often, and it's been a while since we did a Skills-Practice-Only dive. I'd like to know how many other divers regularly do dives that are dedicated to skills practice.

Stick to the point: do you practice this skill or not?

If I run into that situation, I'll ascend first then inflate the SMB. Both can be done at the same time but unless it is required then I personally don't see the need to do it.

Sounds like you don't practice this skill.

Having a marker up can make the air-sharing ascent easier *if* those skills are something you've practiced and find easy. All covered in a GUE Fundamentals class. :)

You didn't say whether you practice this skill or not. Maybe you teach, you your're going over the skill all the time anyway. But why don't you just say so?

We absolutely do train for this...

Thanks.

Not necessarily...

Great response to that other guy, but you still didn't say whether or not you practice this skill.

Another thing I wonder about the responders: if you don't practice this skill, other than "you don't need to", why not? Is there anything bad about it?

Great response to that other guy, but you still didn't say whether or not you practice this skill.

It's been a while.

We absolutely do train for this. And we'll even throw a missing mask into the mix. Task loading like this can become VERY stressfull, so be careful. But like all of your other skills, with enough practice, you'll get to the point where it becomes second nature.

then I wouldn't have time for the dive.....:)

then I wouldn't have time for the dive.....:)

Quite often for us, training is the dive:wink:. That's how we know we'll be ready when a "Big" dive is scheduled.

I haven't combined these skills in quite a while. I do shoot bags on dives, not as often as I would like, but enough to stay reasonably facile with the skill. I practice ascents a fair amount, including some long ones :) so that's fairly well buffed, too.

I think one of the keys was mentioned on the other board -- don't hold onto one another while you are ascending. You really can't manage an ascent and a bag with one hand.

Another issue that came out from the other board is about hoses. It seems to me that with longer hoses this skill is easier but with standard hoses is far more difficult to the point that one diver suggested to forget about the SMB altogether in order to focus on the controlled ascent only!

SoakedLontra,
Personally I'd practice the air sharing ascent more than the combination because, if need be, you can deploy a DSMB on the surface (and I dive in an area where boat traffic and conditions mandate the use of a DSMB).

Another issue that came out from the other board is about hoses. It seems to me that with longer hoses this skill is easier but with standard hoses is far more difficult to the point that one diver suggested to forget about the SMB altogether in order to focus on the controlled ascent only!

Sounds like another good reason to switch to a long hose setup:wink:

Stick to the point: do you practice this skill or not?

Yes

One of my buddies recently completed his AOW and has ~50 dives now. I have regularly practiced this skill with him since he started diving; initially his gas consumption was poor, so it was a regular occurrence for me to put him on my long hose when he hit 50 bar, start the ascent and deploy my SMB before the safety stop, before switching him to his backgas for the final ascent after the safety stop was completed (so he still had 50 bar of his own; I would always have at least 50 bar as well by the end of the stop)

It was a good opportunity for him to observe SMB deployment, as well as getting comfortable with being on my long hose; and also good practice for me to practice SMB deployment while sharing

Once he had seen me deploy a few times, I started him deploying the SMB (no air share). His gas consumption is now good and we no longer need to air share during the ascent, but we still practice it from time to time. I bought him his own SMB for Xmas and he deploys it when appropriate and can do it competently

During his AOW (I was the DMT for this course), I got him to deploy while I was on his long hose. He's a good AOW-level diver now, and has also done Nitrox and Twinset certs. I continue to encourage him to practice the skills he's learnt during his courses, as well as introducing him to new skills when I think he's ready for them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom