Surface Marker Buoy and Air Share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to me that in scubadiving there is nothing 'black and white':jester:

That's the truth.

Hope to meet you and Sam one day at Keystone (I try to get down once in a while). We can discuss UPS, UFC, UNICEF or whatever it is your alluding to... :wink:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the offgassing question: I know that one doesn't want to intentionally create bubbles like a soda can but my thought was towards whether the lungs optimize their N offgassing capacity best at rest or if there was room for more offgassing potential with moderate exertion.

For a related but not identical example: if I want to eliminate lactic acid buildup in the muscles post exercise, I would do some moderate form of exercise as a cool down. The moderate exercise facilitates the removal of lactic acid faster than complete rest though this sounds, on the surface, to be counter intuitive.

I was just wondering if there was some sort of research in this area.

And for the life of me, I can't understand why some people didn't like George ?????????????

Our dive plan tonight was to look for the anchor at Keystone, and then when we got to around 1250 psi, Soakedlontra would shoot her bag from around 40fsw and we'd do a blue-water ascent.

Never found the anchor, and since I had to go back home for my forgotten regulators, we missed slack, but we still had a nice easy dive and saw some areas we've never seen before. This time the drill was much easier than trying to combine it with air sharing, but she had quite a struggle managing the line with her new cannister light. She did great, though. We had a nice steady hover at 15', and I'm starting to get my vision back (I'll be glad when she gets used to that Goodman handle, and I learn not to stay right in front of her while she's spooling in the line).

It's a nice feeling that we are getting enough experience that something like this can be difficult, perhaps even challenging, but we can deal with it without stress or anxiety, just heightened awareness.

Poor Sambolino44! I must have pointed my light into his eyes at least 10 times! :shakehead:

I have to figure out a way to keep the light cable? more under control somehow. Divers with a 7ft long hose tucked it underneath it as far as I understand.
I can see no need to hold the light during a day dive (it was dusk when we did the shooting and ascent but we could still see each other so I could have clipped the light like I used to do when I had a pistol grip light. Unfortunately neither of us thought about it until we were out of the water!:shakehead:) but at night?

How you tech guys do it? You clip the light anyway and your buddy point his/her light to your hands and the SMB?

It was a hell of circus act trying not to make Sam blind, reeling the line on the spool (I did not drop the spool on the bottom) and keep my buoyancy under control. With a 40 ft ascent my hands were getting a bit tired (I cannot imagine what it would be like at 100 ft!).

I cannot remember anymore who is the diver here who can reel the line with one hand!
How do you do it?:confused: Were you a magician in one of your past lives? Do you have a video clip to show all of us this amazing skill? (Like the one of putting the necklace regulator in your mouth without touching it with your hands!)

As Lynne mentioned numerous times in several threads, in the Puget Sound divers do mostly shore dives and don't do a green (blue) water ascent unless there is a problem. We have to 'force' ourselves to do those ascents. Sam and I do not dive from boats very often, like Lynne or Bob do, for instance, so in our case we have to force ourselves to do it even more...Being in mid water is still a bit unsettling for us and we need to practice it far more often. In fact I want to practice it at the end of each dive until we feel that instead of being a source of anxiety it induces in us a sense of peace and relaxation.:)

Last edited:
Clip the light ... then deploy the bag. Leave the light on ... the halo will provide enough for you to see what you're doing ... even at night. If you need more, signal your buddy to shine his light in your direction (but not in your eyes) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well few weeks ago we practice the 'full-monty' but we did not get very far. We could not even establish a decent buoyancy control while ascending and sharing air! One of the worst practice ever!:shakehead:

To cheers us up we have put aside the challenge for the time being and have been doing fun dives instead!:wink:

Well few weeks ago we practice the 'full-monty' but we did not get very far. We could not even establish a decent buoyancy control while ascending and sharing air! One of the worst practice ever!:shakehead:

To cheers us up we have put aside the challenge for the time being and have been doing fun dives instead!:wink:

First establish the platform, then build on it.

Back when I was first working on these skills, I spent a long time just practicing the ability to hold a position in the water without moving.

Once I was able to do that we started doing timed ascents ... stopping every five feet for a minute, then moving up.

Once I was able to do that we started doing it while sharing air.

Once I was able to do that we started working on deploying the bag while making a timed ascent and sharing air.

You have to take it in sequence ... and get each skill to the point where you can do it comfortably ... and on demand ... then working toward the next.

Frankly, the first step is the hardest.

But I agree with your strategy ... get back to fun diving for a bit, and perhaps just set aside a few minutes at the end of the dive to start working your way through the skills sequence ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree with Bob's step-by-step approach. If you're having trouble with basic buoyancy control, adding air-shares and bag shoots probably isn't going to help. :wink:

Some fun diving might be exactly what's in order to get you ready to go at the practice again later. That said, if you aren't confident that you can execute an air-sharing ascent, please do keep your dive profiles conservative in the interim.

Good luck!

I agree with Bob's step-by-step approach. If you're having trouble with basic buoyancy control, adding air-shares and bag shoots probably isn't going to help. :wink:

Some fun diving might be exactly what's in order to get you ready to go at the practice again later. That said, if you aren't confident that you can execute an air-sharing ascent, please do keep your dive profiles conservative in the interim.

Good luck!

We are not very used to do direct ascends because we almost always follow the bottom to go back to shore (and that 'spoils' us!) and don't do boat dives very often.

We are always very careful to plan our air accordingly, in fact recently few other divers have remarked that the rock bottoms that I use are far more conservative than theirs. I have been thinking about re-caculate them considering at I am using less air now in normal circumstances but if I have to do a work out because of current etc. it goes up again in a flash!...well maybe I should stick my old numbers after all?; :confused:

First establish the platform, then build on it.

Back when I was first working on these skills, I spent a long time just practicing the ability to hold a position in the water without moving.

Once I was able to do that we started doing timed ascents ... stopping every five feet for a minute, then moving up.

Once I was able to do that we started doing it while sharing air.

Once I was able to do that we started working on deploying the bag while making a timed ascent and sharing air.

You have to take it in sequence ... and get each skill to the point where you can do it comfortably ... and on demand ... then working toward the next.

Frankly, the first step is the hardest.

But I agree with your strategy ... get back to fun diving for a bit, and perhaps just set aside a few minutes at the end of the dive to start working your way through the skills sequence ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OK!:thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom