Surface Interval Scuba is Open

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perrydogm:
Not to place age, but i was only 3 in 1973 hehehehe

I so you how OLD I am and feel 'sometimes', (actually diving helps me to feel young :wink: )...I started diving in 1971! :rofl3:

Debraw:
We have officially signed the papers and the shop has been sold! The new owners are Johnny Johnson and Steve Cushman. Johnny is a MSDT with PADI and Steve is a PADI Divemaster. They are both full cave certified and are on their way for technical dive training through the Tri-Mix Instructor level.
We are very excited to announce that they do not want to change Surface Interval Scuba only improve it! They are expanding the shop, buying two vans, a double axle trailer, bringing even more scuba lines into the shop and taking the whole business to the next level! Tri-mix, Membrane Nitrox and Air fills are available along with the regular instruction, tec instruction and service we have had for years.
I knew I had gone as far as I could with it and it was time to go big or go home. They are going BIG!!!!! Coming soon group trips and training to Florida monthly for cavern and cave classes, coastal dive trips, and international trips.
Sign up on the mailing list to get in on the latest information about the new direction of the shop.
Troy, Adam and I will all still be affiliated with the shop ( can't get rid of me that easy).

Email list

Neat! I hope you'll still also cater to us vacation diver type weenies. I don't know if I'm willing to drink the Kool-Aid yet. (Or maybe I should say "qualified to drink it yet". :D )

RTRski:
Neat! I hope you'll still also cater to us vacation diver type weenies. I don't know if I'm willing to drink the Kool-Aid yet. (Or maybe I should say "qualified to drink it yet". :D )

Vacation...recreational...sport...tech---we are ALL divers first!! :wink:

From the stand point of Johnny and Steve probably going thru DSAT Tri-Mix level training....thats a non Kool-Aid course. I can only speak from experience but Kool-Aid drinking not found around SIS.........:eyebrow:

I never really got the whole kool aid reference????? What does that mean??

Debraw:
I never really got the whole kool aid reference????? What does that mean??

DIR..."well, many people used (still do) to make fun of DIR and call it a cult.

so... since Jim Jones killed all his cult-members with Kool-Aid back in the late 70's, people say to 'would-be' DIR students "don't drink the Kool-Aid" as in, don't become a mindless member of a cult."

I know I think it is very silly myself.....I prefer Diet Pepsi.

DIR divers started a new mindset of exercise, diet, group work, trying to keep everyone in the group using the same gear. (This was the 90’s when I first ran across it)

Opposing tech divers that did not believe in their system started the phrase
“Drinking the Kool-aid” It was a way to get back at the Tech DIR or GUE divers.
These divers did not like some of their procedures, limited to certain gear, and diving with like minded people.
Hence the phrase having to drink the Kool-aid or suggesting that people were mindlessly following the DIR organization. This is farthest from the truth of the situation but hence the phrase they used against the organization.

GUE is still the strongest presence in Florida were it started.
Some people believe that their standards are necessary in certain dives they do in the Wakulla system which they hold exclusive scientific diving permits to.

To date- DIR/GUE has provided an interesting approach to diving and kicked the manufactures of dive gear in the butt. Split-fins is a good example.
They hold very high standards for diver, limited certifications that expire and they often fly in instructors for certain training. They even video certain dives.

Their ideas were integrated into NAUI-TEC program and their work in decompression and exercise for divers has been very progressive and unique.

While perhaps not the interest of all divers. It is often eye opening to the experienced recreational diver who has a lot of gear and is considering working towards technical diving. They often take a minimalist approach like backplate and wings instead of a BC.

The GUE (Global Underwater Explorers) is still developing and will be interesting to follow.

Andrew

Ahhh, thanks for the information. I get it now. Well TexDiveGuy is right, there is no kool-aid drinking at SI Scuba then. :coffee: Just a lot of coffee drinking, pass the Starbuck's please......

GUE is only one way of approaching advanced diver training....IMO it is up to the individual to pick from one or several formats to draw from.

Debraw:
Ahhh, thanks for the information. I get it now. Well TexDiveGuy is right, there is no kool-aid drinking at SI Scuba then. :coffee: Just a lot of coffee drinking, pass the Starbuck's please......

Love it!!!!! :D :wink:

Ah, sorry, was just a throwaway joke. Didn't mean to be expressing an opinion too much (hence the joking "maybe I'm just not qualified" comment added in to take the sting away from the cult implication).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom