Surface Conditions around Turquoise Bay Resort February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark01

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am considering a trip to TBR next February and am wondering what surface conditions I might expect at that time of the year. I'm pretty susceptible to seasickness, and surface intervals much longer than fifteen or twenty minutes in much more than 2-3 foot seas can be uncomfortable for me. Mostly I just need to know if I am going to be facing light or more moderate seas. TIA

Mark

TBR is located on the North Side. (West End will also have similar conditions)

Prevailing breezes are ESE, thus the South side is known as the "windward" side.

This is the case except when Tropical Storms or Northers come through. Then, the West/North side gets a heavy dose of wind and wave instead.

Tropical Storm season, for this far Western Caribbean zone, runs from Sept>Nov. From Dec>Mar, you may have the effects of "Northers". During these times of the year, the North and West can be affected by these weather patterns. Seas there will become rough to the point of shutting down dive ops.

Hi Mark -

We were in Roatan from January 24th thru February 4th this year. The Turquoise Bay side of the island was pretty much blown out due to winds/rough seas. Turquoise Bay had their boats over on the south side of the island. We were diving with Aqua Adventures over at Media Luna Resort and had the chance to wave to our TBR buddies every day :D If it's REALLY rough, they'll move you over to the south side to dive. If not, you will probably be doing your best to tolerate a few waves.

As the poster child for seasickness, I can recommend something to you that has saved hundreds of dives for me. It's a product called Stugeron (Cinnarazine) and it works like a charm. It is not sold in the US...I order it from Canada. The key is that you have to take 75 mg. for it to be effective. Start the night before to get it in your system!

I will try the Stugeron! Thank you very much!

---------- Post added April 16th, 2015 at 07:28 PM ----------

I will try the Stugeron! Thank you very much!

Here is a thread that identifies some of the risks.

"Low-dose cinnarizine, 25 mg, is sold in many countries as StugeronT (among more than 40 brands) for vertigo and motion sickness. Cinnarizine is banned - even in low doses - by airline pilots in the United States because it impairs judgement. Higher dose cinnarizine, 75 mg, is sold as Stugeron ForteT in countries where it is available, and is used to relax arteries due to its calcium channel blocking effects. High doses have also been reported to unmask Parkinson's disease, or make Parkinson's disease worse due to blocking dopamine receptors. Drugs that have such different uses with such small differences in dose are just not good drugs - even if they are effective in some instances."

Sea Sickness Drugs ( Stugerone / Stunarone / Cinnarizine ) ... Use Caution - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Thanks for the heads-up. I certainly do not want to recommend anything that would in any way be harmful to anyone. In reading the attached article, I see that just about every possible seasickness remedy is shown to have some type of side effect or warning. It seems the only safe option is not taking any medication at all. Unfortunately, that's not an option for me :alien:

I agree there's risk in a lot of things. I take Meclizine which is sold under names such as Bonine. The thing that piqued my curiosity was the matter of
cinnarizine not being available. Sometimes there are commercial reasons, sometimes political and sometimes who-lnows-what reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom