Supermacro with S95 and Stacked Inon UCL-165

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome shots... just stunning! Thanks for sharing. I am working on learning my way around this camera. I figure I will learn the camera then add a macro lens and wide angle and go from there.

I have been experimenting with settings and taking a couple shots of the subject with each setting to compare. Still not getting anything near what the camera is capable of yet.

An recommendations for settings in the various Modes would be appreciated. I shoot without a strobe...

So you are not firing the strobe for these pics? Or are you?

Thx....M

Both strobes are firing. Internal strobe is set to minimum to avoid fogged up housing and for saving battery, it's only used to fire the external Sealife strobe through a fiber optic cable. The housing is taped up so no light goes out and causes backscatter.

Awesome shots... just stunning! Thanks for sharing. I am working on learning my way around this camera. I figure I will learn the camera then add a macro lens and wide angle and go from there.

I have been experimenting with settings and taking a couple shots of the subject with each setting to compare. Still not getting anything near what the camera is capable of yet.

An recommendations for settings in the various Modes would be appreciated. I shoot without a strobe...

Have not used the S95 without an external strobe but when shooting close ups with A710 the port/housing causes a shade in the pic that probably will happen with the S95 too. The port obscures the flash a bit even with the diffuser attached so to speak. Solved it by locking focus and move subject close to the top of pic and crop it.

Thanks.... I have tanken a few with Auto and flash turned off
520-702eSmall.jpg

I have found the flash is blocked by the tunnel above water but the diffuser works well unless you are pretty much on top of the critter underwater,
520-650eCSmall.jpg

cropping takes care of that.

I am actually shocked that I haven't had the shadow turn up in very many shots.

This camera is capable of sharper images and I am frustrated that I haven't worked out how to get them!

BofP--try Av mode, macro on always(well 95% of time), flash on if deeper than 10' or so, fish icon on for UW filter, ISO @ 80(lowest), so all you are gunna vary is the F-stop ie ~5(in clearer water--ie top of the water column) down to ~2.5 in deeper water........

Hey thanks... How do you get the Macro to stay on? I set it to Macro then when I go back it is not on Macro anymore :grr:
I have been using ISO of 100 till now but I will give that lower setting a try.

lol My hubby says I am too keen to dive most of the time.. now I am worse 'cause I want to get in and keep trying these different settings! Big Swell today so no luck today.. but tomorrow.. I may be able to ....

BofP, for macro , just push the rear wheel to the left(twice) & the flower(looks like a tulip) should come up & will stay on, till you remove it---or turn the camera off, then you'll have to bring it up again....

Last edited:
BofP--try Av mode, macro on always(well 95% of time), flash on if deeper than 10' or so, fish icon on for UW filter, ISO @ 80(lowest), so all you are gunna vary is the F-stop ie ~5(in clearer water--ie top of the water column) down to ~2.5 in deeper water........

What is clearer water? and where do I find it? :shocked2:

BofP, for macro , just push the rear wheel to the left(twice) & the flower(looks like a tulip) should come up & will stay on, till you remove it---or turn the camera off, then you'll have to bring it up again....

Thanks I will give that a try. My old Sony.. when you put it on macro in any setting it stayed there until you turned it off macro.. handy with where we dive!

...and you managed this pygmy seahorse on the S95 setup ! Wahhh....

I am dreaming about meeting this long-time-no-see friend of mine in Bali.... If it still remembers me..... and allowed me to find it.

It was my frustration with shots like this in Milne Bay that convinced me that my 5pixel 2004 model Cybershot just wasn't good enough:doh: Now I want to work out how to use the new camera and go back!
482-440CMedium.jpg

I have been doing heaps of reading and set the C Custom Mode at f8, 1/1000; Underwater mode, Macro locked on and flash locked on. Getting a bit better results.

Did some experimenting in Av Mode. found an interesting subject and just kept taking shots varying the fstop one notch after each one to get a clearer idea of effect.

Sure appreciate all the help guys:worship: I hope this isn't too much of a hijack ..If the Op wants I could start a new thread but I figured this would be of interest to him anyway:idk:

They look like paintings!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom