Supermacro with S95 and Stacked Inon UCL-165

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great pix

Great Job. I still have to get the hang of rocking back and forth to get the focus right.

I have tried stacking my UCL165s and they are so tough to focus on my FIX S90.

I see you have both AF Point Zoom On as well as MF Point Zoom On.

Do you use manual focus? Was wonder wondering why you have MF and AF On.

Great Job. I still have to get the hang of rocking back and forth to get the focus right.

I have tried stacking my UCL165s and they are so tough to focus on my FIX S90.

I see you have both AF Point Zoom On as well as MF Point Zoom On.

Do you use manual focus? Was wonder wondering why you have MF and AF On.

Sometimes use manual focus and then it's good to have the point zoom on. Just like the autofocus dito it helps to see the "magnified wiew".

Carl-Johan, I have a few questions about the pics you posted :
1) what are the DOF difference (at F8 of course) between one lens and two stacked lenses ?
>> is it really smaller with two lenses ? or slightly smaller ?
2) you said that the pics are cropped : do you have any example of the same pics "not cropped" in order to see if the same distortion effect I have on my pics also occurs on yours. I usually have some peripheric distortion with my macro lens unless I zoom at maximum (105mm), then I don't have distortion anymore.

Carl-Johan, I have a few questions about the pics you posted :
1) what are the DOF difference (at F8 of course) between one lens and two stacked lenses ?
>> is it really smaller with two lenses ? or slightly smaller ?

2) you said that the pics are cropped : do you have any example of the same pics "not cropped" in order to see if the same distortion effect I have on my pics also occurs on yours. I usually have some peripheric distortion with my macro lens unless I zoom at maximum (105mm), then I don't have distortion anymore.

1. To me it looks like the DOF with 2 lenses are really smaller than with one. So small that i only use 2 for objects smaller than 15 mm or so. Have not calculated DOF though, wonder if someone else did?

2. Jpeg pic "out of the cam" and the cropped dito. Probably had 3 steps of zoom, there's 9 in manual mode. Exif for uncropped says that 35mm eqiv is 73mm and cropped is 90mm.

Attachments

• Shrimp orig.jpg
    Shrimp orig.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Shrimp crop.jpg
    Shrimp crop.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 140
1. To me it looks like the DOF with 2 lenses are really smaller than with one. So small that i only use 2 for objects smaller than 15 mm or so. Have not calculated DOF though, wonder if someone else did?

2. Jpeg pic "out of the cam" and the cropped dito. Probably had 3 steps of zoom, there's 9 in manual mode. Exif for uncropped says that 35mm eqiv is 73mm and cropped is 90mm.

Thanks for the answers :wink:

Great pics. Going to Anilao in May! :happy:

Sorry its off topic: But which resort did you stay at?

Awesome pictures.
I'm jealous of your models. Another destination to add to my wish list.
Not sure if it has been asked, but how close do you end up being to get these pix?

As close as possible:wink: With the old A710is, which got a 1cm close up limit, never used to zoom in and that meant lighting problems on very small subjects. It was hard to aim the flash properly with the subject close to the port.

With the S95 and close up lenses i often find myself zooming in a lot, easier to get the flash on the subject then. Sometimes that means focus problems, having to either try zooming out or just use manual focus on lowest setting and rock back and forth.

Regarding the models it helps having good guides but finding your own stuff is much more fun!

Great pics. Going to Anilao in May! :happy:

Sorry its off topic: But which resort did you stay at?

I'm so jelous! May is lots better than Jan for Nudis, after the storm season it takes some time for them to regrow. Still we had like 30 that was new to me.

In Anilao we stayed at Oscellaris Club, they have mostly photographers as guests. Think they are pretty much booked up for May though, some scientists looking for new Nudi species booked the whole resort. A bit pricey (for me) but 4 dives a day with accomodation and food for 145 USD is not bad. We checked lots of other resorts as well and it seems like Anilao is pricier than other places in the Philippines. At least compared to Panglao in Bohol and Dumaguete/Dauin in Negros, my other 2 favo places for Macro.

In Panglao/Alona Beach can really recommend Genesis Divers. We stayed at Peters House which is ridiculously cheap. They also got probably the best guides on the beach (Junior and Noel), often few divers per guide, no curfew for divetime and caring for photographers that are lots slower than other divers.

In Dumaguete/Dauin we stayed at Kookoos Nest not far from Zamboangita. Basically it was me diving alone with either Nikki or Jamie, the both owners. For me Dauin is actually better than Anilao, but it all depends on what you like to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom