Sanity Check (FIX S95 port conversion to Inon AD)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lewis88

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hoping someone here might have some experience in what I'm thinking about doing before I purchase anything.

I have a Canon S95 in a Fisheye/FIX housing, FIX UWL-04 fisheye lens, dual YS-110a's, and SOLA 500 (see pic here: Canon S95 underwater setup). I've been looking to add a close up lens to my setup, and am looking at the INON UCL165. I also would like to convert from the M52 mount to a bayonet mount due to threaded mounts being a pain underwater.

I am looking at purchasing the following:

- Housing conversion - M52 to AD adapter: Deeproof AD Lens Adapter for M52 Thread Housings

- Wide angle conversion - UWL-04 into M52->M67 step up ring into M67 to AD adapter 10Bar M67 Thread Adapter for INON AD Mount Base

- INON UCL-156AD close up lens

- 2x AD lens holders

In theory, all of this should work, but I'm unsure if I'm missing something regarding lens interference, vignetting, etc, especially with the wide angle lens.

Anyone do something similar or have any feedback on my plan?

I realize this is an old post. Yes, I can read. I am answering it for those in the future searching such things.

Yes, the linked adapter will work with the UCL165AD macro lens. It will also work with the UFL165AD dome lens wide angle. It works better with the macro but less so with the wide angle. The wide angle lens had a shade that may not index with the thread clocking and the adapter is slightly thicker than optimal. I modified mine (yes, I have two of them) by replacing the spacer in the adapter with a thinner piece. This cause vignetting unless zoomed to nearly 50mm, my modification allows use at the 35mm with little or no vignetting to speak of. I also reclocked it to align with my housings thread cut. You want the bayonet to be horizontal with the wide angle dome lens, it does not matter with the macro lens.

N

Thanks for the update Nemrod. Upon further investigation, the issue was going to be with my existing UWL-04 requiring an adapter, that would have made the effect you saw with your Wide angle even worse.

I decided to just keep what I have until I upgrade to mirrorless in the future. I may experiment with some 3D printed parts to see what I can do with my existing parts without spending hundreds on adapters.

Lewis, the linked adapter works with my Inon UFL165AD lens without vignetting. It also works with my Inon UCL165AD macro lens. I did have to replace the spacer with a thinner piece I self fabricated for the UFL165AD to work as well as I wanted, but it worked okay out of the box.

I had an adapter, I cannot recall the make, it was wonderful and had slots to reposition the clocking and there was no vignetting. However, it was ruined in a dive boat accident. I have not since been able to find another. The Deep Proof piece works, just not quite as well.

I am about to go to a Sony A6400 in Nauticam myself, if I can talk myself into it. But, in some ways my FIX/S90 still has capabilities that are hard to reproduce in existing cameras when it comes to flexibility and lens choices. It is a far better camera and housing than the Oly TG series so popular now IMO, if for no other reasons than a 50% larger sensor and full manual exposure and flash control.

James

Nemrod, from what I've been able to gather, existing AD lenses work well. My issue is having a 52mm threaded WA lens, so adapter stackup would become an issue with the rear element of the WA lens ending up too far away from the port element.

Your comments about it being hard to reproduce is why I've been diving this system since 2011. My biggest issue is flash recycle time. I likely will go mirrorless as well at some point, but am not ready to drop the coin.

Unknown adapter (what is left of it) with slots to which was attached the very same AD bayonet mount piece the Deepsix uses and the Deepsix piece:

IMG-0016.jpg
IMG-0015.jpg

FIX/S90 native port:
IMG-0021.jpg

The 52mm to port FIX adapter:
IMG-0018.jpg
IMG-0022.jpg

The Deepsix AD to 52mm adapter installed on the FIX 52mm to male port adapter:
IMG-0020.jpg
IMG-0023.jpg

Inon UFL165AD lens, note how the lens extends beyond the bayonet lock ring:
IMG-0024.jpg
IMG-0025.jpg
IMG-0028.jpg

In action, native JPEG:
IMG-4161-zps65888754.jpg

IMG-2518.jpg

N

Attachments

• IMG-0017.jpg
    IMG-0017.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 105
I delayed and am still star-crossed about a new camera rig. There simply is no perfect U/W camera, just a series of compromises at best. I need a larger sensor and more dynamic range.

N

Just to clarify Nemrod, the issue is my wide angle lens is not AD mount. It is a 52mm threaded mount. So I would need to convert the port to AD, as well as convert the lens to AD, and the lens converter stackup (52mm to 67mm step up, 67mm to AD) would put the elements too far away.

I don't want to change the WA lens to a native AD because I don't want to spend a ton of money on this setup since it will likely get replaced anyways.

I agree, it's all compromises in the current market. I'd love another compact, but I want a hot shoe this time for TTL without the internal strobe.

Got ya, thanks.

Yes, I will be using a TTL converter so that I do not have to use the onboard flash, just the hot shoe on the A6400..

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom