Super tired after diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walking the fine line between safe nitrogen loading and DCS: you're doing it right (but just barely, it sounds like).

My initial search of the topic found nothing then I post and it lists similar topics. It seems likely that I could slow downy ascent, especially the last 15-20 ft and extend the safety stop

Combined with getting more experience slowing down that ascent is also a good idea.

Some people report that nitrox helps, the science isn't in but the theory does make sense and Mark Powel in his book 'deco for diver' does touch on it but only for about 2 sentences from memory.

Some people believe that post-dive fatigue is caused by "silent bubbles" AKA sub-clinical DCI. I'm one of them. IMO, anything that reduces the amount of micro-bubbles reduces the risk for post-dive fatigue.

<anecdote>

I often experience post-dive fatigue if I:
- Dive several dives per day, close to the NDL
- Skip my safety stop
- Ascend quickly, particularly the last 5 or so meters after my safety stop

I seldom experience post-dive fatigue if I:
- Stay well within my NDLs
- Make sure to do a proper safety stop
- Take care to ascend slowly, particularly the last 5 or so meters after my safety stop.

I experienced a dramatic reduction in post-dive fatigue when I started to ascend on a dSMB line, making sure that the last meters to the surface went really s-l-o-w-l-y.
</anecdote>

Try to take care to avoid "corking" after the safety stop. If you're diving close to NDLs, you might try to extend the duration of the safety stop.

New divers are always fatigued. I just witnessed my oldest daughter getting in to the "sport". The brain/thinking part takes up a lot of energy.
If you're one of the last back on the boat, it might also be that you are breathing to slowly and build up CO2.
As you mention the bicycling: Indeed slow down some. But on the other hand: I've struggled with strong currents and was not tired after that. But then I bicycle too when out of the water so, although over 60, I have strong legs..
I guess it'll get better over time.

Walking the fine line between safe nitrogen loading and DCS: you're doing it right (but just barely, it sounds like).

its what he says. You may find it useful to slow your ascent rate to say 6m per minute and see if that makes a difference

Are you using any drugs for sea sickness? Drowsiness may be a side effect.

I can't sleep the night before diving. I just get real excited (I mean looking-forward to it, good excitement) and can't wait to go and find myself waking up every half hour or so starting around 3 or 4 AM. It doesn't matter what time I go to sleep the night before. I will take cat-naps on the boat if time allows.

I found that when I became Nitrox certified I was a little less tired. Although I see someone in this thread says that's physiologically impossible. Maybe it's all in my head.

Good points all. I will add hydration. If you are drinking your usual outdoor activity level of fluid and do a couple of dives you could be getting mild dehydration. Under water you are breathing compressed air that is extremely dry and not getting any more fluid. Two hours under water is like two hours in the driest desert to your lungs and body.

I know that personally if I am doing activities and get a little dehydrated it makes me feel tired and it takes a while to replenish the fluid and electrolytes. Be it mowing the yard or doing a couple of dives.

All of the proposed causes are likely contributors to MaxE's fatigue. Lots of movement, ascending too fast, and just the "hype" of diving. My presecription: RELAX. Move less, trim your buoyancy to be neutral without movement. Slow your breathing. As you get more comfortable and relaxed in the water, your fatigue will almost certainly abate.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks for all the advice. It all sounds normal and likely to get better with experience and slowing down. I'm positive it's not related to dehydration, let's just say there is a way to know if your hydrated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom