Sunset House, Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck at 270 just out front of Sunset House

Natasha once bubbled...
AquaTech:
I'm a little confused.
#1 You stayed at Sunset House the whole 3 weeks?
#2 You did think the shore diving was good?
#3 You dove the mermaid, and the wreck from the shore?
#4 How many rooms do these next door neighbors have, and can you also shore dive from their place?
#4 I would like to meet up with you at DEMA. Let's try to arrange it.
Thanks for your time.

#1 - yes
#2 - at sunset house not that great, at turttle farm great
#3 - yep
#4 - answered above, they are great people a good bar/restaraunt, and well priced accomodations
#4 again - sounds good to me. PM me and we will arrange something

What confuses you so much

Thanks. All very good information and links. I'm not confused anymore. (That was just one of those days).
I am considering bringing the April group down there, and wanted as much up to date info as possible.
Thanks for filling in the blanks.

Could someone explain what, and where the turtle farm is?
Thx.

Natasha once bubbled...
Could someone explain what, and where the turtle farm is?
Thx.

The Cayman Turtle Farm is located in West Bay (the northwest tip of the island). They raise and release turtles back into the sea. It is a major tourist attraction in Grand Cayman, and most of the cruise ships coordinate tours that include the Turtle Farm and Hell.

Some people find the Turtle Farm to be quite interesting, but some divers find the Turtle Farm to be depressing. This often comes from the financial realities of running such an operation. To support the breeding program, a majority of the raised stock are slaughtered for the dinner table, with only a small proportion released. Additionally, the facilities are quite crowded.

There is a dive shop in the area of the Turtle Farm, and the shore dive there is quite good, with the wall only a short swim out.

The only thing depressing about the Cayman Island turtle farm is that a small island nation has made it a success. Meanwhile, back at the ranch Fla. and Texas where farming could be a feasibility are forbidden by Fed. law.

The folks at the turtle farm harvest eggs and incubate to hatchlings, in much greater numbers than in the wild. The hatchlings are then raised in pools. Approx. 5,000 per year are released in Cayman waters, they can be ID by a light scale on their shell. Most turtles spotted are alumni of the turtle farm.
Some turtles are allowed to mature into breeders, ensuring the cycle. Most of the turtles do end up on the dinner plate, this is a FARM folks. Turtle meat is one of the healthist proteins on the planet. If anyone is distressed by the number of turtles being raised in the pools, go visit a working chicken farm.

Ultimately people must decide for themselves, but if you're in the area visit the farm and try a turtle steak at a restr. You may end up thanking the creator for putting such a beautiful and tasty critter on this blue ball we call home.

i must say i was in the caymans in 1990 and then again this last Aug.

i did see many more free swiming turttles this last time. it could be a result of a successfull release progam, or just escaped turttles from the rescent storm.

I shared a deco stop at 200 feet with a masive turttle, bigger than any at the farm, and it just hung out there with me, I could barely reach from front to back of it, probably 5 feet.

The dive shop at the Turttle Farm is Dive Tech. they are the best opperators on the island in my oppinion, and don't even think about anybody else to tech diving. ask for Cali she's great.

here is a picture of Dive Tech from the water, and oh yeh the resturaunt above serves a great turttle lunch

turttles at the farm

Back
Top Bottom