Sunset House, Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty much decided to go to this place... the people I've spoken to on the phone seem friendly... better the devil you know!!! We are only going for a few days, the price seems reasonable, and its near the airport.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'll be looking forward to reading your trip report when you return.

Sunset House has several boats... more than likely they will have one based on the North Side for access to the North Wall? Smith's Cove is located very close to Sunset House and might be a nice place for your non-diver to spend some time while you're diving. It has a nice little sandy beach area and good snorkeling.
Have a blast!!!

scaldwell once bubbled...
What about Morritts Tortuga Resort?

What exactly do you want to know? I work at Tortuga Divers at Morritt's Tortuga Club. I'm happy to answer questions either here or via private message.

Resort basics: Morritt's is a timeshare resort located on the eastern tip of Grand Cayman. Approx 198 units, 3 swimming pools (soon to open 4th), a nice beach, onsite restaurant, isolated location - you need a rental car to travel to town or restaurants, units include kitchenette - buy groceries and save on restaurant costs

The diving: onsite dive operator diving the East End's north and south sides, excellent snorkling underneath pier boasting abundant fish life, no shore diving from resort, some of Caribbean's best shallow dives located right out front

Tortuga Divers: offer morning two tank and afternoon one tank dives, night dive every Wednesday, Stingray City dive every Tuesday, every dive offered as a guided dive with instructor in water, affiliated with Red Sail Sports and can book dives all over island as a part of your dive package.

I just spent three weeks in the Caymans and stayed at Sunset House. the diving out front is marginal at best on the shallow dives. deep wall dives where great.

I also dove with Dive Tech and they where fantastic to dive with.
the diving is at the Turttle Farm and is incredible just off shore.
good snorkling too I pressume.

One adavantage of staying at Sunset House is that it is within walking distance to town. however a car to rent is only $20.00 per day. cheaper than one cab ride top town and back.

The wall diving on the North [i think] side is great. Tarpon Alley etc.

what ever you do don't miss Sting ray city I save it for a fly day as it is only a 10 foot dive, but incredible.

There is another place about two doors down from Sunset House that is owned by a couple Dan and Tanya [Of freediving fame] I can't remember the name but others might fillin that blank
they are really putting out a good experience, and they are great people. I am sure you will find this place much more economicaly priced.

for the non diver, well they have a movie theater that changes the flick once a month, and there is shopping [hope the color of your card is platnium]....i might suggest staying on 7 m ile beach where she can lay out and meet some nice people who also don't dive.

There is nothing to do there but dive, and the diving is amazing

AquaTech:
I'm a little confused.
#1 You stayed at Sunset House the whole 3 weeks?
#2 You did think the shore diving was good?
#3 You dove the mermaid, and the wreck from the shore?
#4 How many rooms do these next door neighbors have, and can you also shore dive from their place?
#4 I would like to meet up with you at DEMA. Let's try to arrange it.
Thanks for your time.

The place a few doors down that AquaTec is refferring to is the Seaview. It is now operated by Dan and Tara (not Tanya Streeter, another famous free diver) and has shore diving as well. Both Seaview and Sunset House are a short walk south of downtown Georgetown.

At Sunset House there is a statute of a mermaid as well as a small wreck accessible from shore. The mermaid is prominently featured in many advertisements in dive magazines. Both Sunset House and Cathy Church's Underwater Photo Centre use that image in their ads.

Seaview has 15 rooms. Sunset House is quite a bit bigger, but I'm not sure exactly how many units they have.

mermaid at sunset house

wreck just down from the Mermaid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom